Chapter 18

"So, Mr. Perfect broke your heart?", my dad asked.
"I didn't say that."
"But, that's basically what he did right?"
"No Dad, he should made a mistake."
"A mistake?", he asked.
"Yeah."
"If it was just a mistake, you wouldn't have been soaking your pillow in tears this morning."
I sighed.
"Ok, maybe it was a pretty big mistake", I said.
"Well, that sounds more accurate."
"I still care about him."
"That's good", he replied.
"I just wish he would've been honest with me."
"Don't we all. Why do you think me and your mother aren't on good terms", my Dad replied.
"Yeah, I guess that's true."
He patted me on the back.
"Zara, I don't know everything that's been going on, but I do know that it's been taking a toll on you. And as your father I'm here to tell you that I'm here for you if you need me."
I smiled.
"Thanks Dad."
"You're welcome."
I went upstairs to my room. I didn't know what to do. I had enemies on my back, personal problems, and I still wasn't ready to forgive Roman. Even though I loved him, I couldn't allow myself to be so vulnerable that I let people run over me. I chose to go on this path. I chose to go on this wild adventure with the guy I loved and his friends. And now that I think about it, I put my life at risk every time I step outside of this house. It's a scary thought to have when you're up against the world.
I laid down on my bed, and pulled out my diary. I opened it and a small folded piece of paper feel out of it.
"What's this?"
I opened it up and looked at the handwriting. It was Luke's. I looked up at the ceiling and took a deep breathe. I haven't spoken to Luke in weeks and it really hasn't bothered me. The last time I talked to him was when we decided to stop talking and take a "break".
But, before he started the class he gave me this letter to read. I'm not going to lie, I was a little reluctant to read it because of what it might have said, but after meeting Roman, I know that taking chances are what makes us who we are today. So, I read the letter:

Dear Zara,

I know you've been going through a lot lately, and I don't want to add more stress to that. I just wanted to let you know that I truly cherish our friendship and I will never take it for granted. There was a reason I've been thinking about our future. I believed that one day we would grow old together and live happily ever after. But unfortunately our paths don't lead us in the same direction. You want to explore and travel while I'm just a simple guy. I would rather chill and read a book. And after giving it some thought , I've decided that it's best if we remain friends. You know, like best buddies. I didn't want to see the look on your face when I tell you so I wrote this instead. But, I hope that your future is good to you and don't forget that no matter where we stand, I won't be too hard to find you need me.

Love,
Luke

I began tearing up. I can't believe he wrote this. Although he broke my heart, I couldn't deny the feelings that I had for him. They were real, but I don't think he was ready for the kind of relationship I wanted. I guess you can say we both need to be patient.