Chapter 07: Green and Orange Hues

The curtain of the drawing room remained half open, allowing very little light to come in. Ronal was very strict when it came to the care of the furniture in that room, and the sun was the first thing on her long list of threats.

The curtains were mostly always closed to the point of only allowing a little view, which Neteyam took advantage of as he enjoyed the sight from his place at the pianoforte.

He toyed with the keys, remembering the lazy tune that had come from his hiding place somewhere in the back of his mind. It had been too long since the last time he had played, and he thought funny the fact that he had to cross countries for his musical talents to be reborn, given that there was a beautiful concert grand back at home that would be gathering dust if not for his sister.

His fingers seemed to ache and tremble with excitement at the touch of the ivory, and the laughs from his sibling made him press the keys on their same tune.

Lo'ak possessed to a high degree the ability to lash his sisters to fury, and in half a minute he had transformed Kiri and Tuk from calm and well-mannered girls into howling wildernesses.

Neteyam watched them, and although he too wanted to share their joy, he did not come outside to impart it, just in case someone got hurt. He was not a coward and bore necessary pain like any other person would. But as he became older, he grew out of the fondness he had for the physical violence of the youth. And how right he was! Because soon enough the ordeal ended in a cry.

"I wish grandmother would be here." Said Kiri as she took a look at Tuk's hurt wrist.

"Yes, she would put your healer abilities to shame." Lo'ak barked a laugh as he made his way inside the drawing room with his little sister in his arms.

"No, I meant so she could scold you properly for acting like a wild dog." Kiri pushed him making his feet slip as he grabbed onto her, and they all fell most agreeably onto a big sofa. Tuktirey giggled at the action, pout long forgotten.

"Oh, do play something for us." Kiri's eyes light at the sight of her brother by the piano.

"I don't mind leaving it to your care." Neteyam smiled at her beginning to make her way out of his seat.

"No! I have played more than enough!" She insisted walking up next to the piano as she looked longingly at the keys. "I want to hear you play. I don't remember the last time I did."

"Mmm...very well." He sighed softly, almost immediately giving in to her sister's wishes.

A soft melody flowed in the air, making Kiri close her eyes in delight for a moment that fell short when Lo'ak grabbed her hand by surprise, making her gallop and spin all around the drawing room. She wore annoyance all over but allowed him to guide them in what looked like a messy waltz.

"Lo'ak, let Kiri go." Said their mother who just crossed the door, having been drawn in by the music.

"Yes, do make room for us." Their father hid a smile as he took his wife's hand to guide her to the center of the room where they held each other.

Neytiri looked away embarrassed under Jake's loving smile. Their children, witnesses of the childish behavior that they very rarely saw be brought to light when it came to their parents. They liked to keep a collected image of themselves, but even in their modesty, there was no hiding of their devotion.

Neteyam closed his eyes purely concentrated on the cold touch of the ivory. The deep, raspy chuckles rumbling in his father's chest made him sigh, Kiri's airy laughs that broke out against her will, and Lo'ak's rhythmical stomps on the carpet underneath guided him through the melody in the air.