Chapter 19: What night holds.

Lo'ak stared outside the window of his home. It was a Friday night and the street was busy.

The incessant buzz of the city was something he had grown fond of after growing up in constant jolly chaos.

Despite how many shortcomings they could have, his family was the best he could ever ask for, however, the hurried people living out there in the never-stopping city of concrete had always embraced him with a feeling of belonging.

He felt himself smiling and soon his attention was drawn by fuss coming from the drawing room.

He followed the sound of his sisters' voices, grinning when he saw Tuk twirling around and Kiri chasing her around.

—Tuk, stay still! You've made your hair all messy!— Kiri caught her and sat the girl in her lap to fix the mess she had made of herself.—Why did you take off your ribbons?

—I don't like them, they are childish!— Tuk protested with a puff of her cheeks.

—That is not true. They are pretty.— Kiri spoke softly trying to get on her good side.

—You wear them, then!— A pout grew on her lips.

—Such impertinence!— Kiri shouted in surprise, however, instead of growing angry she began picking at the girl's side to tickle her.

Tuktirey wiggled her way out of her arms and ran back to the corner of the room where her dolls lay.

—Are you ready?— Kiri asked Lo'ak who stood by the entrance.

—For what?— Lo'ak frowned and looked down at himself when she gave him a strange look.— Are we going somewhere?

—Your bowtie is crocked.— Kiri chuckled.

Lo'ak's hand flew to his neck because in truth he didn't remember ever getting dressed.

What had he done that morning?

He walked to the nearby mirror above the fireplace, and somehow his eyes felt stuck on the blurry image of his messy bowtie.

—I never get this damn thing right.— He mumbled through his teeth, closing his eyes to get rid of the foggy feeling in his mind.

He heard Kiri chuckle as she walked to his side and began fussing over her hair and jewelry. 

—Why are your hands dirty?— He grabbed her hand with little delicacy to inspect the dark something staining Kiri's hands.

—It's just ink. I didn't manage to get it off.

—Were you writing something?

—Neteyam gave me some of his pens and notebooks. They were new and he said he wouldn't use them, so...— She shrugged happily.

—Ugh, what is with him? He tried to give me some of his ties the other day. Do I look like I want his used things?

—Or, maybe he was just being caring.— Kiri mumbled with a sigh.

—If you want to take his garbage, then be my guest.— He shrugged, laughing when she elbowed his side.

—They were gifts.

—If you wish to call it that...—He mumbled.—Do you think he finally gave up on his little diaries?— Lo'ak clicked his tongue annoyed, turning to Kiri so she could take charge of his tie.— I never saw the point of spending so much time scribbling.

—Well, he likes it...And I believe they also provide some sort of...relief? You know he never talks about anything with us.

—Or anyone.