Chapter 23: The Art Of Apologies.

Neteyam stared at the clock whose hands clicked too loud for a room containing two people who did not speak to one another.

He stared at his father's back, who was by the window, both waiting for Lo'ak to arrive submerged in a suffocating silence.

Neteyam's hand gripped his knee as one of them bounced at the speed of his heart. He didn't know why had he been summoned to the morning room, but he wasn't unaware as to not know what would follow after last night's events.

Suddenly the door opened and a very disheveled Lo'ak came through. Barely dressed, obviously having just woken up, and with a nasty bruise plaguing his eye and cheekbone. 

—You send for me? I'm shocked.— He mumbled as he rubbed his temples, bothered by the light coming from the windows.

—Sit.— His father ordered with an agitated sigh, staying quiet until Lo'ak found his way next to Neteyam.

The brothers exchanged a glance of concern before their father spoke up.

—...Why don't you tell me how last night went?— Jake kept standing before them with a posture proper of a commanding officer.

His sons stayed quiet, not daring to utter a word for they knew they had been found out. Neteyam sighed.

—Sir...

—Word has gotten to me.—He looked up to gather himself.— Before coming here, what was the one thing I asked?— Jake set his eyes on his youngest son, ignoring Neteyam's confusion.— Lo'ak.

—To stay out of trouble.— He mumbled.

—To stay out of trouble...—His father nodded.— Was it too difficult of a request?

—...No, Sir.

—If that is the case, then I fail to understand just what the hell were you thinking.

—It wasn't my fault!— He touched his chest with a burning sense of justice.

—Of course, it wasn't, it never is.— Jake pinched the bridge of his nose.

—I simply did-

—More than enough!—He pointed at him warningly when Lo'ak stood up, unable to keep still.—Neteyam.

—Yes, Sir.— He spoke looking up. Sat between the two men standing he felt little and cohibited, but he didn't show it.

—...Now, I know things might have been a little...different as of late, but you are still an older brother, and you have responsibilities.

—What? To watch over me?— Lo'ak scoffed.— I'm not a child!

—Then act like it!

Son and father stared at each other, gazes full of things unsaid. Neteyam gripped his trembling hands on his lap and cleared his throat.

—I'm sorry, Sir. I should have...

His words died down, making Jake purse his lips, finally tearing his eyes away from Lo'ak to look at his eldest son.

—Yes, you should have. As an older brother-

—For fuck sake...

—Lo'ak.—His father warned.

—It isn't his fault!

—I should have been more attentive.—Neteyam spoke over him, dismissing his brother's protestation.— It won't happen again.

He swore, nodding his head in agreement, submission, and everything Lo'ak thought to be humiliating.

—Things are different here, boys.— Jake spoke with a face that dragged down.— We are not home.