Chapter 18: Loser's prey.

_________________________________________

No one speaks to me. People want me to fall in love with them. They want to have me, to flatter me, to get on my good side, and all sorts of things, but they never speak to me.

Could it be that no one can? Could they ever will?

It would be good to have a friend or a lover. Someone to speak to, someone who listened without me having to pay a terrible price in exchange.

Could there be someone who doesn't make me feel like I have a hole in the middle of my chest?

M̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ s̶o̶m̶e̶d̶a̶y̶
It's a childish pursuit.

_________________________________________

Kiri groaned and bent to take off her heels. Her feet were aching due to an entire night of dancing, and her dress had just begun to feel uncomfortable after hours of wearing the fashion she was not accustomed to.

The coldness of the grass under her feet made her sigh, and she plopped herself on the ground, having somehow found a peaceful spot in the middle of thick walls of bushes.

—Why do keep running off without me? I thought I had lost you.— Rotxo spoke aloud from a few feet away.

He carried his hat under his arm and the jacket of his uniform was unbuttoned.

—I didn't want to inconvenience you. Why did you follow?— She groaned with a tiny smile, patting the spot next to her.

Rotxo sat with a groan, his body heavy due to the alcohol. 

—Is no inconvenience, I was worried.— He mumbled with a gentle frown.— Don't disappear on me like that, please.

—Though I thank you for your kindness, you need not worry yourself with me.

—There are a lot of drunks inside the house with nothing keeping them from making stupid choices. I will worry.

—I was the strongest one out of my brothers at some point, you know? Don't underestimate me.

—Are you certain they just didn't let you win?

—Neteyam perhaps. Lo'ak would never.— She shook her head lazily, pulling out the bottle of champagne she had stolen from the party.— Can I offer you some?

—How kind.— He bowed his head as one would do with a queen and took a sip.

—How are you this evening?— Kiri chuckled at the way she overly exaggerated the politeness in her voice. 

—I find myself very... disappointed.— Rotxo said after some thought.

—How so?— She broke character, turning her head to look at him fully.

—It cannot be helped. I always find myself feeling like this after social gatherings. All the people I know are friends with my cousins, so life can feel a little isolated from time to time.

—Do you mean to tell me that you don't have any friends? Not even one?

—Unlike Ao and Reya I find it quite difficult to...talk to people.

—You are talking to me.

—Well, it's different.

—Nonsense!— Her lips turned into a frown.— I feel most insulted.

—Why?— He leaned in to look at her face under the moonlight. 

—If you don't consider me your friend, I will be very embarrassed, Rotxo.