Chapter 30: It takes courage.

Tsireya fidgeted with her necklace. The pearls made a warm sound and the light blue heel danced in the air as she bounced it out of boredom.

Waiting for her mother had turned into a routinary thing through the years. No matter the plans or the place, the woman had always gotten out of her way to be the last one to arrive.

Tsireya had asked the reason once, only receiving a calm smile that stated the obvious. Attention, of course, was the reason, because arriving elegantly late would always be more graceful when wearing the right pair of heels while having the eyes of the entire room set upon you.

—Did you wait too long?— Ronal asked, taking a seat in front of her daughter in a little hurry.

—Of course not.— Tsireya smiled, knowing they both were aware of the polite lie. 

—Good.—She nodded approvingly, watching the maid that followed at all times poring them some tea.

—Why have you called for me?—The girl sighed, longing for an answer that would calm her anxiety.

—Do I need a reason to have tea with my daughter?

—No...But usually you do have it, that is why I ask. I know how much you hate to waste time with useless chatter.

—That is true, but today I simply felt like having tea.—She smiled pleasantly, taking a sip of her cup while holding the small plate underneath it.—Are you having fun?

—With the Sullys here, of course, I am. I feel guilty saying it out loud, but normally I would start missing our home in town within the first few weeks of being here every summer, whereas now it is about to end and I can barely feel it.

—Mm,—Her mother nodded looking at her from above the edge of her teacup through her sly eyes,— How come? 

—Well, they are people with whom I can have relaxed conversations. Very easy to talk to.—She mumbled shyly, aware of the slight reproach to her mother.

—So... you truly like them.—Ronal raised her eyebrows at the way the girl turned her head quickly towards her.

—Why do you ask that?

—Can you blame me? Your father squeezed that entire family here without asking any of us.

—It was for a good cause.

—Good or bad, this is our home, and the least he could have done was ask me properly, not informing me the night before their arrival.

—...Not everything is bad, surely.

—They are barbaric. Haven't you seen them?

Tsireya worried. If her mother seemed to dislike these people so much, what guarantee was there that the people who truly mattered to her would escape her judgment?

For instance, Lo'ak. He was not the picture of cleverness, but despite his rough exterior, everyone who would take time to have a single conversation with him would know of his gentle nature.

And what would prevent her mother from saying at any minute, 'It would be wrong to dislike Lo'ak?' And what would Tsireya reply? Further than him, her mind did not go, but it was enough to make her anxious.

—Don't you enjoy spending time with Missus Sully?

—She has become agreeable, but her husband...—She took a sip of her tea, raising her eyebrows in disapproval—And don't let me start on that youngest boy of his.

—What is wrong with Lo'ak?

—Dearest, you have eyes. Perfectly good ones, capable of watching him act so...