Chapter 20: A morning stroll

Kiri stared at the sheet of paper before her. The ink of her pen dripped, staining the tip of her fingers unknowingly to her.

She was alone, sitting under the shade of a tall tree, and that morning she had decided to write to Miles a letter that had been long overdue ever since their visit to the opera house.

—Are you writing a letter?— Rotxo's voice made her raise her head with a soft smile, taking a seat in front of her.

—Yes?— She chuckled, curious before his puzzledness.

—No, I meant, are you handwriting a letter? I didn't know people did that anymore.

—Yes, I know.— She sighed leaving the pen aside.— But I like writing letters. Telegrams are just so...impersonal.

—But they are faster. You ought to use it if you want that message to arrive before the year ends.— He joked.

—Unfortunately...Well, no. Perhaps is for the best. I wouldn't want him to think that I'm desperate.

—Who are we talking about?— Rotxo kept his tone soft and posture relaxed, taking his time to enjoy the sight of Kiri speaking softly.

—Miles.— She explained, although his confusion remained.— The friend I spoke to you about during Tsireya's birthday.

—Ah...I wasn't aware he had a name.— He leaned forward onto the table, frowning at the empty sheet.— Was it something of importance you wanted to tell him?

—M'm...I just think...he has written to me a couple of times since we arrived here, so I think is fair I do the same...But I don't know what to tell him.

—What do you two usually speak about?

—...Lo'ak.— She stated after a short pause.— Also...His travels! He tells me everything about it and the plans he has to go see the world with my brother.

—Right...—Rotxo nodded, trying to come up with an idea himself, but ultimately hissing softly— Well, Imagine you are writing to a friend.

—He is a friend.

—...Of course.— He nodded with an unconvincing smile.

—...What would you write to a friend whom...you want to make know that you have been thinking of them?

—I would start by saying that I have missed them.

—...Missed them...— Kiri mumbled under her breath, scribbling on the paper.

—And that I wish they could be with me, to enjoy the many new and beautiful things.

—I think he would be bored.— She shook her head, looking away.— He likes life in the city as much as my brother does. That is why they are such great friends.

—But would you like to be with him now?

Kiri contemplated answering the question, but she rathered leaving everything on the table and standing up to go for a walk.

—I thought you liked writing letters!— Rotxo laughed from the table, taking no time to catch up to her.

—I do.

—Then why are you troubling yourself so much?

—Because it is not easy.—Kiri crossed her arms, hugging herself under the warm morning sun.— I know what I have to do, but how am I supposed to bring the idea to his attention? 

—This idea being...?

—Marriage.

–Ah...— He nodded in understanding. With his hands in his pockets, he walked along her silently until a sigh finally escaped his lips.— Kiri I...I must ask, you do like this friend of yours, don't you?