Chapter 15: Nervous Dogs.

It was early in the morning and the day promised to be gloomy. With the sky covered by clouds and the wind warning of an approaching summer storm, Neteyam stared outside the window of the dining room.

He hadn't gotten a wink of sleep the previous night, but as morning came and his thoughts became cooler, he decided to talk with his brother. To parch the situation before the wound teared up even further.

He paced on the carpeted floor, hands clasped behind his back, staring at the clock and cursing under his breath each time someone who was not Lo'ak went through the door.

By the time he arrived, they were all sat by the table, and Neteyam's first opportunity had slipped away.

The table was quiet, all of them put under the long breakfast silence Neteyam had grown to hate.

His knee bounced incessantly under the table until Kiri placed her hand on top of it, claiming that if he were to keep it for much longer he would turn the entire table over.

–I do say I should have been allowed to go!— Tuktirey huffed next to her mother.

—When you are older. You are still too little.— Her father told her, reaching his arm to pinch her cheek.

—Daddy, I am not a child!— Her cheeks turned red out of pure frustration, making her mother laugh.

—You are a child until I say so.— Neytiri put a hand out when Tuk tried to refute, effectively making her quiet.

—She has quite the spirit.— Tonowari hid a chuckle behind his glass.

—In that, I do declare myself blameless.—Jake smiled at his wife, while Neytiri masked her flushed state with a serious glare.

Neteyam chewed his breakfast slowly. Unlike any other day, it tasted bland and the feeling of it in his mouth was making him nauseous.

Lo'ak appeared to be normal. Calm and collected. Not at all out of place if it weren't for the way he kept dragging his eyes away from him or Ao'nung every time they clashed.

He rubbed his temple. His head ached so, maybe due to the lack of sleep, or perhaps because of the weather, but he pleaded for it to go away before one more scratch of silverware would make it explode.

Quiet steps could be heard approaching from down the hall. The butler crossed the set of doors that were open back to back and bowed his head once in a polite gesture.

—Telegramma per il signor Sully, signore.

Jake raised his head to receive the yellow envelope with the words 'Western Union Telegram' neatly printed on it in black ink.

—Must he bother you now?— Neytiri frowned at the envelope his husband had torn open and left on the table.

—If Norm is sending word, surely it must be important.— He smiled when she raised her eyebrows and sighed, looking away.— He is my secretary, dearest. It is his job to bother me.

Jake took a moment to read the content of it. No one took much care of the matter until they saw the quick shift of semblance.

The way his face hardened in a matter of an instant was to no one's comfort. He folded the paper back and gathered the envelope.

—Something wrong?— Neytiri was the first one to voice her concern.

Her husband took a moment to answer, but ultimately simply shook his head and smiled softly.

—No. Just work.—He gave her hand a light squeeze and turned to the head of the table.— Tonowari, I must send an immediate answer, may I...?

—We'll have someone run to the office for you.— He reassured him.