Chapter 26: Blood Is Thicker.

The sun rays wiggling their way through the leaves above kissed his skin in spots,  and the wheatgrass turned yellow surrounded his body as he lay flat on the field.

His sleeves were rolled up, and his tie was undone. He had been tormented by a headache for hours, and as his last resource, he hoped fresh air to be the solution.

With an arm covering his face, his eyes remained closed, even when he heard steps and a whisper calling his name.

—Neteyam...—Came from above, and he wanted to chuckle. If Ao'nung intended to wake him up, why whisper?

—How did you find me?— He mumbled, finally taking his arm away with a sigh.

—Was I not meant to?— He smiled nervously, looking back to the villa and then again to their spot covered by trees.  

—Was there something you needed?—Neteyam spoke softly, lazily placing a hand on his stomach and an arm behind his head.

—Not quite, no...—Ao'nung shook his head, once again looking at his surroundings then went back to Neteyam—May I stay?

—This is your home, and I'm the one invading it.—Neteyam opened his eyes slowly, looking at him hesitating through his lashes— Yes, you may stay.

—I feel like I have hardly seen you these past few days.—He lay next to him, on top of the jacket that was meant to keep the grass from making their skin itch.

—Work has me in a chokehold. I made some miscalculations, and that threw the balances in the books off. Father was angry. —His hand reached for the cigarette Ao'nung was offering him.

—Hopefully, that was resolved.— He muttered, resting his weight on his right arm, looking at him from above— I wanted to ask, how about we go to town, have a drink?

—Mm, can't...—Neteyam took a long puff—Mother wants me to...—He exhaled— go over some...list with her, I suppose.

—A list?

—Mm, something about marriage.— He brushed the matter with a shrug— I thought she had given up her efforts to have me married, but now she seems most eager. In a frenzy, if you must.

—...Right.—Ao'nung nodded, looking away uncomfortably— And you truly plan to entertain this?

—Well...shouldn't I?— He raised his eyebrows in inquiry—The timing doesn't seem quite right, but I suppose one is never truly prepared for married life.

—If you say so...— His chuckled was somewhat strained—I didn't know you were truly considering it...you know, marry...

—I wasn't.

—A woman.

—Ah...—Neteyam said dryly—Should I marry a man instead?

Ao'nung needn't be the brightest to catch on the sarcasm that lingered heavy on his tongue.

He felt short of words, embarrassingly caught on the intention behind his worry.

—I am inevitably alive, and life doesn't wait for anyone, therefore I must go forward. 

—But where are you going?

—I have no idea in the least, but stopping isn't an option.—He thought for a moment— If starting a family as early as twenty years is the start of the path, then be it so.

—But you don't want that.

—I want what is best.

—For whom?