Chapter 11: A Matter Of Pride

Ao'nung fixed his tie once more. The knot looked out of place, and although Rotxo had taken his time to teach him before, Ao'nung could never get his head around it.

The fact that his mind was fully occupied by thoughts about certain a friend didn't help much either.

It had been a few days since Cecilia's party, and the events that took place that night, however enjoyable, were taking a toll on his mind.

If it were any other person he had spent the night with Ao'nung would have already laughed the lustful thoughts away. After all, it wasn't difficult.

But he was fully convinced Neteyam was purposefully making it difficult.

Was it a punishment? Had Ao'nung done something wrong but the memories were deeply buried under the fog of ecstasy that was left by his every touch?

It had to be a punishment. Neteyam must have been bothered, angry, or vexed, because otherwise Ao'ung could not, for the love of God, fathom why would the man treat him with such indifference.

It had been a good night, and Ao'nung could bet everything under his name that they both had enjoyed it.

So what was it? For the rest of the week that followed not a single thing changed regarding Neteyam's treatment to Ao'nung.

It was mortifyingly embarrassing to admit, but Ao'nung had expected some point for Neteyam to change his attitude at least a little.

It wouldn't hurt him to be the one to kiss him or hold him when no one was looking.

Ao'nung had always been the first one to initiate every touch. He had given the fact to his lustful nature, however, after time had passed there was only so much that little excuse could assure him.

He did not have feelings for Neteyam.

It made him laugh just to think about it.

But he was tired of his indifference and the realization that he had always been like that towards him every moment before, and every moment after a kiss.

—The others have not come down yet.— A deep, soft voice called from somewhere ahead.

Ao'nung lifted his head immediately. He had just crossed the door to the dining hall, but there was no one there.

—You are early.— Neteyam spoke again, helping Ao'nung to follow his voice to the room next to the dining hall where the fireplace was lit during winter.

—You are too.— He spat.

—I always am.— Neteyam curved his well-defined eyebrows, curious about Ao'nung's defensiveness.

The man stood there speechless, simply nodding and looking away as he silently agreed with him.

Ao'nung stared at the clock, suddenly wondering when the rest of their families arrived, and noticing that he had been too early.

Had he been too anxious? Now he looked desperate.

—Desperate for what?— He mumbled under his breath.

His hands were tightly clasped behind his back, and his eyes found their way to Neteyam's after a moment.

He was reading with a look of annoyance on his face.

—Enjoying your book?

—Not really, no.— He shook his head without taking his eyes from the pages.

—Don't worry, it gets better.— Ao'nung said before stopping to consider if his words were actually true.

—Maybe. I won't find out.— Neteyam shrugged putting the book aside and definitely abandoning it.