Chapter 28: A Battle Of Wills.

__________________________________________________

Once I became old enough the thoughts began. The obscene imagery, the stares, and the longing.

I believed a terrible curse had been cast on me. The anger of God poured on a boy who had turned a blind eye to his word and chose to live defiantly.

My schooling was pure enough. A terrific scandal before my arrival had meant misfortune for the newcomers. We were drilled all day and policed all night.

I had little chance to speak about it to anyone, and soon I realized that I was not quite like the other boys.

Now I thank God I was robbed of the opportunity to speak, and I often wonder what would have become of me if my innocence had overruled my better judgment.

Where would I be? Whom would I love? What punishment would I have to face? 

_________________________________________________

                                       ༄

There were quite a few things Neteyam thought to be more exhausting than putting on a kind face.

Commonly, people didn't realize how much effort a smile required, but his mother had raised him to be polite, and while he understood the importance of listening, he failed to see how he was the only one to nod along to Missus Geljo's endless complaints.

—There is truly nothing here for us to do.—The woman scoffed, looking for her daughter's support— Absolutely nothing.

—The tea is quite good, and the bites are surprisingly better than last year's.— Tsireya mentioned shyly, embarrassed by the fuss.  

—Mm, you are not the only one to believe it.—Neteyam agreed as his eyes fell on his little sister, cheeks full and face covered in crumbs— Eat what is on your plate first.

He instructed her, seeing as Tuktirey was ready to take more food for herself. The girl was made effectively annoyed, and so, she crossed her arms while unable to complain as she chewed.

—Neteyam, do you not hunt?—Rotxo's voice came from somewhere in the round table.

—Not at all. I leave that to my brother.

—He did mention being a good shot.— Tsireya added with a smile.

—He's an excellent shot.—He chuckled, putting in a good word for him.

—Mm, how modest.—Her mother tilted her head— You two have grown quite fond of each other.

—I wouldn't say...—Tsireya began mumbling, looking at her mother. The girl took a moment as a sudden feeling of annoyance toward her overcame her,— Yes. Yes, we have. 

—It mustn't be easy to have to bear with him. I adore my boy, I do, but I also know his character might be a bit much for those who refuse to give him a true opportunity.

—On the contrary, nothing about your son's character is difficult to bear. And he is good at conversation, as well as listening, which I appreciate. It's an ability the gentleman around here seemed to have lost.

—Ow.—Rotxo mumbled, munching on some sweets.

—You are a sweet girl.— Neytiti smiled, noticing the way the girl's face had gone a shade or two darker— I would've adored to have you as my daughter-in-law.

—You flatter me, ma'am.

—Do I?—Neytiri hid a mischievous smile behind a thoughtful demeanor—Well, I suppose if you like the idea, surely something can be arranged.