Chapter 16: A Night Of Jewels And Sweets

Tsireya waltzed down the halls of her home, looking for the first one of her friends with whom she could share the good news.

She stepped outside into the garden where she could hear Kiri's loud complaints and Lo'ak's thunderous laughter.

They were tightly squeezed in a little garden table while playing cards and cursing at each other over a game.

—Alright, Alright!— Kiri shouted, searching for every coin she could find as she was becoming too short to pay her debt to Lo'ak.

—Why don't you just give up? I already have your entire allowance in my pockets.— Lo'ak teased her.

—What are you doing?— Tsireya chuckled at the scene. Kiri's face was so red she could swear it had been victim of a sunburn.

—Poker. Join us? — Ao'nung mumbled leaving his cigarette aside. We can start a new game.

—You know I don't know how to play.— She rolled her eyes fidgeting with a poker chip. The ivory felt cold against her fingers.

—I'll teach you.— Lo'ak said looking up.— If you want...that is.

Tsireya between him and Rotxo who frowned at his cards, too focused to participate in the exchange of words.

She showed him her cards and he whispered quiet suggestions on which could be the best card to discard and the best ones to keep.

—Alright gents, Four of a kind.— Lo'ak laid back into his chair, fairly satisfied with the cards he got.

—Must I remind you I am a woman?— Kiri snarled.

—Then why don't you look it?— His smile broke into a grin that lasted until she kicked him in the shin under the table.— Goddamned, Kiri!

—So...I have good news.— Tsireya mumbled fussing over her cards, unable to contain her smile.— Father told me I could host a birthday party.

—And that is a surprise because...?— Ao'nung raised his eyebrows, lips tightly pursed.

—With friends, Ao.— She leaned in to deliver the news with a much more dramatic effect, effectively causing his brother to raise his head in interest.

—I'm listening...— He nodded, urging her to continue.

—He told me I could have the house since he would be taking Mister and Missus Sully out to dine and then to the theatre.

—Your parents won't be at your birthday party?— Kiri frowned.

—Well, last year they threw a ball for my coming of-age. Mother made a whole fuss about it, and though I am grateful-

—It was dreadfully boring. Having to hear all those money-hungry men and their lousy wives. I spent the entire evening saying: "Horay, old chap!" And sending them away with a slap on their backs.

Ao'nung scoffed taking another puff of his cigarette.

—It wasn't so bad.— Rotxo shook his head to minimize Ao'nung's negative response.

— Anyway, this year I asked the father for a much more...informal evening. So, I was thinking of costumes!

—Costumes?— Kiri gasped excitedly.

—Excited because you'll finally have the opportunity to dress like the witch you are?— Lo'ak mumbled, unfazed by the slap on the back of his head.

—Costumes sounds good.— Ao'nung nodded, unable to hide his grin.

—Then I'll have my friends invited so I can finally introduce you guys to them. Ao'nung, should I extend an invitation to yours?

—Cece might like to attend, and Erey and his brother will not lose the opportunity to get blackout drunk.—He hissed.— So...no.