Chapter 21: Hedgehog's Dilemma

Rotxo leaned back into his chair. It was a hot afternoon and the curtains flew with the strong wind that entered his room through the window.

The tips of his fingers hovered over the keys of the typing machine.

'Kiri...'

He frowned, dropping his head back with a deep breath. He had never written a letter of this nature before.

He wasn't even certain of what he was trying to achieve with it either. How cowardly of him to apologize through a letter when the correct thing to do was plant himself before her and bow his head for her to decide if it was proper to cut it.

Roxto had committed a great offense towards her. To think that he was impulsive enough to kiss her right there and then.

The memory made him breathe sharply and look away from the sheet of paper that only held her name printed on it.

His eyes closed, and he couldn't help but reminisce the feeling of her body pressed against his, her mouth opening in surprise and the heat coming from it.

So fiery and delicate, like a flame ready to overthrow everything in her path if she so wished.

Kiri was a temptation he had kept himself from looking at since the very moment she set foot in his home.

He fought hard against the idea of liking her, and the possibility of her liking him back.

But her beauty made it difficult, and her kind nature nearly impossible.

The thread of sanity that stretched tight snaped the moment he embraced her, and then it wasn't only the foolish daydreams of a man charmed by a woman, but the reality he now needed to atone for. 

He changed it for a new one and resumed typing. 

_________________________________________

"Dearest friend:

You do well by thinking me mad. The truth is that I am most certain I have gone insane.

I blame the heat, though, truly nothing is enough to excuse my impertinence.

Temptation got the better of me, and to have taken into my own hands to have you in more capacities than you wished me to, makes me drop my head in shame.

The purpose of this letter is to apologize. I am acting cowardly and you are free to chastise me for it, but I do not dare to show my face to you before I am certain it will not cause you displeasure.

Nothing could make me happier than to have your friendship back.

Will you forgive me?

—Rotxo."

_________________________________________

He took the sheet from the machine and sighed as he gave it one last read. Did he come across as pushy?

That was the last thing he seemed after...

He rubbed his eyes and began again, typing furiously.

_________________________________________

"Dear Kiri:

I've done wrong."

_________________________________________

His head fell onto his hands. Rotxo's eyes wandered around the walls, and his upper body turned towards the window behind him when a well-known feminine laugh got to his ears.