Chapter 12: First Act

Neteyam admired his surroundings in awe. The theatre was small compared to what he imagined an opera house should be, but not at all modest, and considering how small of a city Florence was compared to the great capitals of the world, he thought it to be most pertinent.

The main hall was full of women wearing their best silks, and men smoking away who laughed engrossed in conversation.

He felt a presence next to him, to which he tore his eyes apart from the paintings and the gold decorations around the ceiling.

-How long is this concert?- Lo'ak asked with a non-discreet look of annoyance.

-Two, or three hours? Why? - Neteyam tilted his head forward in an inquisitive manner, making the young man groan.- Lo'ak, we have just arrived.

-How terrible is that, isn't it?- He mumbled looking around for something to ease his boredom, perking up when his eyes landed on a man serving alcohol.

And with that, he was gone. After sighing a laugh away Neteyam caught a glimpse of his mother and sister holding a conversation with Rotxo and Missus Geljo, and without much doubt, he made his way through the people to them. The three women turned to him, expecting him to say something due to his arrival.

-I must say, the building is breathtaking.- He saw Missus Geljo nodd, pleased by his choice of words.

-And you are yet to see the inside of the theatre.- She added, fueling Neteyam's and Kiri's excitement.

-I cannot wait to see it.- His sister said, fighting to keep her smile soft and not too eager.

-Are you a fan of the opera?- Rotxo's interest was peeked.

-Oh, no, just...the artistic aesthetic of it all has always amazed me.- Kiri answered very shortly and shyly, praying for her mother not to pick up the subject.

-My daughter has always had a natural talent for artsy pursuits.- Neytiri fixed a lock of hair out of Kiri's face with a proud smile on her lips.

-I wouldn't call it that.- She mumbled, unable to meet the eyes of those who were part of the conversation. With her flushed cheeks she looked silently for aid from Neteyam.

-I think you should give some merit to yourself. The entire lot of your pursuits aren't easy, especially ballet. At least not from the point of view of a man who can barely stand on his toes without going down face first.

Neteyam expressed very calmly to hide his purposefully intent of getting on his sister's nerves in the gentlest way he knew.

-Oh, ballet! How lovely!- Missus Geljo looked at the girl pleasantly surprised.

-Mm, quite impressive.- Rotxo reinforced his aunt's words, giving Kiri a look of interest that she could not ignore.

-I've always wanted to see "The Dying Swan" on stage...Mainly because it is my favorite piece to play on the piano, and I hear Anna Pavlova is magnificent.

-Umm, I...- Rotxo began speaking nervously, glancing back to recall if his words were true.- If we are talking about ballerinas, I am almost certain a few paintings are lying somewhere around here that might be of your liking. I can show you to them if you...

-Oh, I would love to!

They excused themselves promising that they would be on time to the dining hall, or at least to retrieve their ticket to their assigned boxes, and walked away as Kiri kept talking about something that had Rotxo most definitely engrossed.

-What a gentleman your nephew is.- Neytiri spoke, looking them disappear into the crowd.

-I know, such a sweet man he had turned to be. And after all that happened with his mother. Awful.- She shook her head once with her eyes closed, trying to get rid of the wave of memories from years prior.