No Choir

"What are you talking about? You wanna break Zemo outta jail?" Sam questioned as the three of them walked through a dark room, the only light source being flashlights. "Where the hell are we, Buck? Have you lost your mind?"

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing." Bucky defended, it slightly concerned Maia that he didn't even realise that Sam called him 'Buck'.

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars." Sam shot back.

"And we also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose." Maia chimed in.

"Zemo's gonna mess with our minds." Sam stated, Maia wanted to say 'I've already got a dead girlfriend doing that' but it didn't seem like the right time. "Especially your. No offence." He added, only talking to Bucky.

Suddenly Bucky pulled on a lever making the lights turn on before flicking his flashlight off and looking towards Sam. "Offence." He said. "Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has code."

"I'm crazy but you two don't seem to mind." Maia joked as she let a slight chuckle out.

"Yeah, and, I've been on the wrong side of that code and so have you." Sam stated, ignoring Maia's joke because he didn't think she was joking. "He blew up the UN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it! Did you forget that that? Do you think the Wakandans forgot about it? It's a rhetorical question. Then didn't! I know why this matters to you, but it pushing you off the deep end."

"Do you mean pushing him into the deep end?" Maia corrected, earning a glare.

"Sam, we don't know how they're gettin' the serum." Bucky stated. "We don't ever know how many of them there are. Let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I?"

"What did you do?" Sam immediately asked as Maia pulled a box of cigarettes out her pocket, Sam immediately confiscated them. "These kill."

"That's the point." Maia grumbled, snatching them out of his grasp. "And I kill, I don't see you taking me away from very sad people."

"I didn't do anything." Bucky responded before Maia and Sam got into an argument about how the girl is destroying her body. "The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meatware." Bucky pointed to his brain. "The human element. Now, int his lockup, it's nine to one, prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting, then the protocol says four guards have to respond."

"So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment?" Sam questioned as Maia began smoking her cigarette.

"Who knows?" Bucky shrugged, clearly hiding something. "There could be many reasons... But the point is, these things escalate. Lockdown procedures would have to be initiated, and with all those bodies flying around left and right, wouldn't be hard to slip down a hallway or two. And if the fire alarm got tripped while the prisoners were being separated...someone could use the chaos to their advantage."

"Oh, shit, this is gonna be so good." Maia muttered to herself, she couldn't care less about being around Zemo. She actually thought he was quite smart but used his intelligence for the wrong things.

"I don't like how casual you're bein' about this. This is unnatural. Are you..." Sam stated.

"You should see him high, he's like a whole new person." Maia chimed in.

Sam snapped out of his completely mesmerised haze and asked, "And where are we, man?"

"Eh...looks like a car, mechanical, garage...thing." Maia guessed as the door opened and Zemo walked in. "Oh this just keeps getting better and better."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Sam repeated over and over again, his eyes darting between the three people. "What are you doin' here?"

"No, listen." Bucky tried to stop the man as he angrily stormed over to Zemo, but he got ignored. "I didn't wanna tell you 'cause I knew you wouldn't let this happen!"

"Aw, protective boyfriend." Maia commented making Bucky glare at her.

Sam didn't hear as he was busy shouting, "What did you do?" in a high pitched voice.

"We need him, Sam." Bucky firmly replied.

"You're going back to prison!" Sam yelled.

"If I may-" Zemo started but got cut off by both men shouting,

"No!"

Zemo nodded in understanding making Maia laugh slightly. "Apologies." He muttered.

"When Steve refused to sign the Sokovia Accords, you backed him. You broke the law, and you stuck your neck out for me. I'm asking you to do it again." Bucky said to Sam who sighed in response.

"I really think I'm invaluable." Zemo stated making Maia nod in agreement.

"Shut up." Sam warned.

"At least he's self aware." Maia joked.

"Okay." Sam said, putting his arm round Maia's shoulder. "If we do this, you don't make a move without our permission."

"Fair."

"Okay, Zemo, where do we start?" Sam sighed.

❀•°❀°•❀

The four of them were now in a parking garage, full of cars. "So our first move is grand theft auto?" Sam questioned.

"These are mine." Zemo defended as he opened up one of the cars boots to reveal a mixture of weapons. "Collected by family over the generations." Maia spotted a knife with a navy blue handle that she liked the look of, she put it in her pocket despite Zemo's complaints." I spend years hunting people HYDRA recruited to recreate the serum. Because once it's out there, someone can create an army of people...like the Avengers."

Sam uncomfortably shifted his weight as Zemo spoke, "I ended the Winter Soldier program once before. I have no intention to leave my work unfinished. To do this, we'll have to scale a ladder of lowlifes."

"Well, join the party." Sam scoffed. "We've already started."

"First stop is a woman named Selby." Zemo stated. "Mid-level fence I still have a line on. From there, we climb."