Eyes of a Child

I/N I genuinely DESPISE this chapter so much but I hope you enjoy! And sorry I've not updated in a long, long, long time. I've been dealing with some medical issues that have also been effecting my mental health.

Maia was laid on Maria's sofa, her head in the woman's lap as tears slowly spilled out her eyes. It was a few days later and Maia couldn't stop thinking about Bucky, she was too exhausted to be angry or upset with him, she just wanted him to wrap his arms around her and tell her everything was going to be okay.

"Where's my phone?" Maia asked, turning to look at Maria.

"I think it's on my bedside table." Maria answered as she used her thumb to wipe away Maias tears. Maia had been sleeping in Maria's bed with her, not being able to go into the one she shared with Sky before they moved out.

"Thanks." Maia replied before getting up to go get her phone.

She went on Find My iPhone before tracking Bucky, he was in Latvia. Maia pulled her jeans on and changed her top to a black one before putting Natasha's jacket on, braiding her hair and going downstairs.

"Where are you going?" Maria asked, quickly standing up.

"Latvia, I need to talk to Bucky." Maia answered, shoving a cereal bar into her pocket.

Maria furrowed her brows as she wondered how Maias mood could instantly change. It was as if there was a switch in Maias head that allowed her to be upset and it just flicked on and off as it pleased.

Maia walked out the door and Maria followed. "Maia, babe, wait!" Maria called down hall. "How'd you do it, just stop being...sad?"

"Uh..." Maia chuckled slightly. "Childhood conditioning." She shrugged.

"That's not very helpful." Maria muttered, sending Maia a sad smile.

❀•°❀°•❀

By the time Maia got to Latvia she had managed to go through every single photo on her phone of her and Sky, and she remembered the exact moment each photo was taken.

Maia approached a posh looking house before opening the double doors. She was met with a very pissed off looking Bucky, Zemo who was in a bath robe and Sam look slightly scared.

"This feels like bad time." Maia observed as she closed the door behind her.

"Want some cherry blossom tea?" Zemo offered but Maia shook her head.

"I'll pass, I'm not really a tea person." She replied, tea reminded her of Natasha and Sky. "But I need to talk to you." Maia grabbed the sleeve of Bucky's jacket and pulled him into a different room.

"Before you start screaming at me, I've had a really shitty day-" The man was cut off by his daughter wrapping her arms around him as if her life depended on it. "Are you okay?"

"Shut up." Maia muttered as Bucky reciprocated the hug.

"Uhm, okay." Bucky said, very confused.

They pulled apart after a couple minutes, "I'm not calling you dad." Maia stated.

"Okay." Bucky nodded in understanding before Maia walked out the room, leaving him there stunned.

❀•°❀°•❀

The four walked out Zemo's house and were greeted by John Walker shouting at them down the street. "Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit!"

"Ah! How'd you find us now?" Bucky yelled back.

"Come on. You think two Avengers can walk around Latvia without drawing attention?" Hopkins questioned making Maia roll her eyes.

"No more keeping us in the dark." John practically ordered. "You could start by telling us why you broke him out of prison."

"He did that himself." Bucky shot back.

"Technically." Maia added.

"This better be an unbelievable explanation-" John continued complaining but Sam cut him off,

"Hey, take it easy before it gets weird."

"I know where Karli is." Zemo stated before trying to walk away but John stopped him.

"Well, where?"

"All we know is, it's a memorial." Sam explained. "So, we're gonna intercept her there."

"That means civilians. High risk of casualties." Hopkins said to John.

"All right, good, we'll move in fast. Take her by surprise." John came up with a plan.

"We? Who the fuck is we?" Maia muttered under her breath as they all started walking.

"No, I wanna talk to her alone." Sam said.

"I'm not losing her again."

"Look, the person closest to her died, she's vulnerable. If there's any time to reason with her, it's now." Sam shot back.

"What? No. Wait, no! No! Stop. Hold on. Stop!" John rushed in front of the group. "I think we're way past reasoning with her, unless you forgot that she blew up a building with people still in it."

"I think I'm way past being in your presence. But here we are." Maia scoffed but John ignored her.

"Sam, you walk in there cold, she could kill you." Hopkins warned.

"And if I go in hot and the op goes wrong, more people will die." Sam stated.

"You'll let him do this?" John asked Maia and Bucky. "Are you gonna let your partner and dad walk into a room with a Super Soldier alone?"

"He's dealt with worse. And he's not my dad, he's...I don't know what he is, but he's I'm going to let him." Maia replied making John sigh.

"I used to counsel soldiers dealing with trauma." Sam shared. "This is right in my wheelhouse."

"Yeah, I know." John responded, a slight sass buried in his tone. "And I know those soldiers, which is why I know this is a bad idea."

"If he can talk her down, it might be worth a try." Hopkins chimed in making Maia look to Bucky in disbelief, he had the same shocked look on his face.

John scoffed before turning to look at Zemo. "We'll deal with you later."

"I'm sure it will all come to an agreeable conclusion. My associate is just up ahead." Zemo said as he pointed to a little girl.

Maia, Sam, Bucky and Zemo pushed passed John and Hopkins to lead the way. Maia could faintly hear John complaining behind her but it quickly stopped when she glared at him.

"Hello, my friend." Zemo greeted the girl. "This is for your family." He handed her some cash. "Can you show us the way?"