Chapter 29 - Legitimate Contentment

...

...

...

*beeeeeeeeep*

"Recording log..."

"Week 4"
"Thursday"

"??? hrs.""???"

...

...

...

A man is groaning and as he opens his eyes, the bright morning shines on windows near him as he is lying on a bed sheet made of hay under a hut. He sighs and sits, thinking about what will he do next for his family to have something to eat. 

He exits outside of the hut and goes to his work as a poor merchant selling second-handed ceramic vases and tin plates. He grabs onto his wagon full of his merchandise ready to sell to the city.

As he continues, he sees multiple low-ranking merchants also going through the gates of the city, almost in poor clothing as well. He gazes up to a sign by the gates and sees the title: "Yormford City".

He finally enters the city after paying a manageable amount of silver at the gates as a fee and observes the poor quality of buildings scattered all across the city. Houses full of broken walls and roofs, poor water and sewage facilities, and so forth. 

He places himself and his wagon behind him by his original position at the Central Plaza as usual. He continues to earn some living until sunset. After his last transaction out of his just hefty twenty customers throughout the day, he prepares to go back outside the city. Already feeling tired after the usual trading business for today, he grabs his wagon with his merchandise and proceeds to the exit gates.

...

...

Finally reached a village outside the city, he parks his wagon behind a wooden cottage and opens the entrance door. Upon opening it, he is greeted by a young boy with a huge smile.

"Haha! Hubert! How are you doing?" the man greeted his son with a hug.

"Father! Did you buy sweet potatoes again?" the young Hubert asked.

"Oh haha! Of course! Here it is!" the man grabbed a pouch and handed it to his son.

"Yipee! Mother, mother! Father bought sweet potatoes again!" the young Hubert ran to the kitchen

A woman then enters the scene with a gentle smile.

"Come on now. Let's prepare them before it gets too cold." she said.

The man enters and closes the door. He then greets the woman with a kiss.

"I'm home, my precious Perth."

 "Welcome back, dear. How's your work going?"

With a saddened expression, the man sighs, replacing it quickly with a smile.

"I will manage. Don't worry." he touched Perth's face.

Perth grabs his hand with a worriness and anxiety.

"Are you sure? Just let me know if you need help. Alright, dear?"

"I will, honey. I will."

The two then go to the kitchen for dinner and spend the evening chatting.

...

...

The next day continues as usual. The man proceeds off naturally to the city and makes his transactions just like any normal day. However, rumors are beginning to spread in the city.