Chapter 13 - The Quality of Reason

...

...

...

*beeeeeeeeep*

"Rewinding log..."

"30 Years Ago"
"0605 hrs."
"Cathedral"
"Gargan Forest"

...

...

...

The sun is beginning to rise with the hums and chirps of birds echoing in the forest. In the middle of the forest, stands a religious city of a Christian-like structure with the Cathedral in the very center of it. Life is peaceful with the widespread religious doctrines all over the continent and countries. The use of magic is commonly by natural means and in daily living. Filtering water, light sources, transportation, etc. So as such with your daily tasks and missions on the adventure-guild contracts. Hunting creatures, gathering their rare materials, and rescue assignments. But in this country, the most common magic attribute is holy-type magic. They are efficient and professional in exorcising demons, evil spirits, and dark creatures. It is also in this city lies the capital of Verusia

But as they master holy magic, they too will eventually master the unholy and wicked magic.  Peace slowly and gradually fades as rising tensions appear almost all over the continent almost daily. This prompts the cardinals and bishops in the Cathedral to send priests to help various countries to sort and solve their problems. But all of that too failed as the priests that were sent didn't make it back, nor even made it to their respective countries. The people in the city of Cathedral start to become worried and anxious about all of what's happening. Some people conduct protests to find out what happened to the priests that had vanished. The head of the religion - the Archcardinal, had also vanished after visiting the Sacred Mountains near the Blaide Ridge. Almost all of the cardinals, bishops, and priests left, are now doing their best to calm down their people and fix all of the ongoing problems around them - that some of them are thinking to resort in another "way". 

Inside an office room in the Cathedral, a cardinal is rubbing his forehead in irritation and stress as he desperately thinks about what he will going to do with the missing priests and their relatives that were protesting outside.

"Arrgh. If only the Archcardinal was here..."

Then a knock on his door. The cardinal lets the guest in and a young man named Galian Torha in blue robes comes in.

"Cardinal, the people are still waiting for your presence outside. What do we do?" the young Galian said with worry. The cardinal stands up and goes to a bookshelf and pulls out a book. It then opens a small opening behind it and reveals a hidden safe attached to a wall. The young Galian is surprised about this and asks the cardinal.

"C-Cardinal? What is that?"

As the cardinal opens the safe, a black book is contained. He grabs it out and reads it. But the young Galian recognizes the symbol on the front cover of the black book - a pentagram with a goat skull in the middle. His face becomes laced with horror was taken aback as he realizes what the cardinal is doing.

"CARDINAL! THAT IS ONE OF THE CURSED BOOKS! WHY DID YOU HAVE ONE?!"

The cardinal looks at him and smiles wickedly.

"Hehehe. Don't worry, young man. Don't you know that we will have more power once we got to hold off one of these?! No more preach-that and preach-this! I'm fucking tired of all that nonsense!" the cardinal stood up as he presents the book to the young Galian.