part 49 |persistent|

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: Apocalypse- Cigarettes after Sex

Days, it had felt like for Y/n. She was still stuck in the same cell without any news about what would happen.

She had not slept since Natasha had last visited, which had been 4 days ago.

The girl was too scared of what would appear in her dreams.

The lack of sleep, however, was getting to her. She'd started hallucinating and catching herself slowly drifting off.

Sitting in the corner of the cell, she fixated her stare on the blank wall in front of her. Her eyes slowly closed, trapping her.

This time she hadn't managed to catch herself to stay awake.

After a few hours, the nightmares came. It was just slightly altered versions of what she had experienced weeks prior.

Stygian could feel everything they did to her all over again, the pain, the coldness of the weapons, the shocks of that god-awful machine.

-

Screaming, Y/n jolted awake in full panic. Sweat dripped down her face and her eyes frantically darted everywhere. It was like a cycle.

She struggled to breathe and had to take in huge gasps to not suffocate. No matter how many times she did this it didn't help. She couldn't calm down.

-

"You have to let me see her! She hasn't slept since she got here and clearly she's not doing well. I know she's not under control, I can tell! The look in her eyes is different. She'd not be acting like this if they had control over her! Why can't you let her go!" Natasha raised her voice at the director.

"Agent Romanoff! I suggest you remember your place in this organisation before you start raising your voice at me! I know what I am doing as I run this place! I will inform you when you can see her but for now, I suggest you go elsewhere before you get yourself in trouble as well."

Natasha went silent. He was right. She had taken her role for granted and forgotten her place.

She looked down in disappointment and backed off slightly.

"She's in trouble?" Natasha asked quietly, still looking at the ground. "But she didn't do anything wrong," the sadness seeped through her voice.

"She's not in trouble but she can't be trusted. It's not that she did it on purpose but rather we don't know what Hydra and herself are capable of or what they have done."

Natasha's gaze had focused on something else. It was focused on the small TV in the corner of the director's office. The TV showed the security camera footage of the cell.

Fury followed Nat's gaze and also looked at the screen.

Both could see Stygian freaking out as her chest pumped erratically and she gripped the floor as best she could.

"Director, I know you said I couldn't, and I know what has just gone on, but you have to let me help her at least. She looks like she's suffocating. Please, director. Please." Natasha spoke softly but there was a sense of urgency in her voice that she was trying to mask.

"Fine."

That was all she needed to hear before she ran off down to the cell floor.

-

"Y/n," Nat gasped as she rushed over to help the girl.

Y/n stared at the redhead with pure panic. She couldn't breathe. Occasionally she'd be able to take a big gasp but she just held her throat.

"Y/n you have to try and match my breathing pace. Try your best."

She tried to nod as she studied Natasha's breaths.

After a while, she managed to drop her hand from her throat but was still struggling.

Even though it was taking a long time, Nat stayed and made sure everything was working well.

Half an hour had passed and she had finally calmed down. Shocked by her outburst she stared at the ground.

Natasha just continued to study her. She looked at every new detail on her, every new scar that was on her face, her bandaged arms, the way she looked in pain, the bandage around her ankle, the mess of her hair, the faint blueness fading from her face, the way she still shook extensively. Everything.

"Are you in any physical pain?" The assassin asked.

"No... but my throat is really dry. Am I allowed water?"

"I can go get you some right now." Nat smiled.

"Wait, no. Don't go. The water can wait."

"Are you sure I won't be gone a long time?"

"I'm sure."

"How about if I got one of the guards to go get some?"

"Okay."

Natasha got up slowly making sure Y/n was still all right and then made her way to the door. When it was opened for her she told the guards to get some water and immediately entered again.

"Thank you, Nat."

"It's okay love. Here, take my hands, close your eyes."

Y/n did as she was told, breathing gently. Natasha's thumb caressed her hand comforting her more.