• 17 •

|AT THE PARTY: CONTINUATION|

Arya watched Aryan walk away with Mr. Shukla, her heart pounding a bit faster. The vibrant atmosphere of the party surrounded her, but a strange mix of excitement and nervousness settled within her.

A gentleman approached Arya, offering a drink, but she declined with a polite smile. She decided to heed Aryan's advice and head to the refreshment area. While sipping on her mocktail, she couldn't help but wonder about Aryan's mysterious personality.

Aryan, in his tailored suit, engaged in a serious conversation with Mr. Shukla and other guests. Arya observed from afar, trying to decipher the complexities beneath his stoic exterior. The thought of being at a high-profile party with him made her realize the stark difference in their worlds.

As the night progressed, Aryan managed to handle conversations with finesse, showcasing his business acumen. Arya admired the way he commanded attention and respect, yet a part of her yearned to see the guarded man beneath the polished exterior.

Suddenly, Aryan excused himself from the group, making his way toward Arya. The shift in his demeanor was palpable as he approached her, a subtle warmth in his eyes.

"Enjoying the party?" he asked, his tone softer than usual.

Arya grinned, "Definitely! Your world is a lot more glamorous than mine."

He chuckled. "Glamour doesn't always equate to enjoyment."

As the night unfolded, Aryan found himself captivated by Arya's infectious energy. Her laughter echoed in the background as they shared light banter, momentarily breaking through the walls he had meticulously built.

"Pardon me, I apologize. I apologize for invading your personal space. Those folks desire your presentation there, Mr. Aryan Roy. Are you coming?" Aryan nodded and excused himself, buttoning his suit as one of the men approaching spoke.

Arya inhaled deeply as she watched him vanish from the wealthy crowd once more. feeling hungry. She headed over to the buffet table and grabbed a plate, loading it with delicious-looking appetizers. As she nibbled on a bite-sized cake, a husky voice interrupted her thoughts: "You seem to be new at this party."

Startled, Arya turned to see a man leaning close to her. She stuttered, "I..."

The man extended his hand and introduced himself: "I'm Afsar Khan. And you?"

Nervously, Arya accepted the handshake and replied, "I'm Arya."

Afsar Khan continued, "I've never seen you at this party before. Are you single?"

Before Arya could respond, a voice came from behind her: "No, she's with me."

Aryan had appeared his tone firm. Afsar Khan shifted his attention to Aryan and said with a sly smile, "Oh, Mr. Roy, we're best friends, aren't we?"

Aryan, now in an assertive tone, affirmed, "Yes."

Afsar Khan turned back to Arya, still in a flirty tone, and asked, him "So, who is this pretty lady? Mr. Roy, introduce me to her."

Aryan, ignoring Afsar Khan's request, said, "We'll take our leave now. You enjoy yourself. Come, Arya, I'll introduce you to some other guests."

Aryan took Arya's hand and walked away with determined steps. In a secluded corner, he stopped and said to Arya, "Didn't I tell you, little miss, not to talk to any men?"

Arya replied, "Yes, I didn't. He came and asked." Aryan scolded, "That's enough. You sit here; we'll leave in a few hours."

Arya nodded, feeling a mixture of emotions.

After some time, Arya felt the need to use the restroom. She got up and started walking after asking a waitress for directions. But as she was making her way, she heard the voices of a quarrel nearby. Curiosity got the better of her, and she looked in the direction from which the voices were coming.

What she saw next left her mind frozen.

In the room, she witnessed a girl aggressively kissing Aryan. The shock of the sight overwhelmed her, and to her surprise, she accidentally knocked over a vase, creating a loud noise. Both Aryan and the girl turned their attention to her, and Arya heard Aryan say her name in shock. Without a second thought, Arya turned and ran away, leaving the scene behind.

***

Arya sat at a desk in the park, her thoughts racing. Tears streamed down her face as she questioned herself, "Why? Why am I feeling hurt? Why do these tears keep flowing?" Her mind reminded her, "Arya, isn't this what you wanted? You wanted him to have his love life."

She told herself not to cry, but the pain in her heart persisted. She contemplated her feelings, thinking, "Why do I feel this way?" She realized that she needed to distance herself from Aryan. Perhaps helping him from afar was the best way to avoid getting too attached to him.

***

"Little miss," a voice came from behind her, and Arya quickly wiped away her tears, but it didn't go unnoticed by him.

She got up and tried to act normal, saying, "I know I'm being clingy & burden on you. I'll leave your house soon." Despite trying to act normal, tears still flowed from her eyes. "I'm sorry; I realize I'm invading your personal space."

"No, little miss, it's not like what you saw," Aryan replies, attempting to make her understand.

Arya responds with little hiccups, "You don't need to explain to me."

Aryan insists, "Stop, Arya."

But it seems like she isn't listening. She continues, "I'm nobody to you. Someone who..."

He abruptly cuts her off, saying, "Shut up," and then leans forward to kiss her.