021: My past, my future, my Hell

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter contains context of sexual abuse. Please read with caution.

|Alysanne Valentine|

The adrenaline is feeding into my bloodstream. Regardless of the temperature circulating below five degrees. Bare feet hitting the dirt soil, leaves and branches as the chill runs through my spine and immediately overwhelmed by my adrenaline. We established that a cold front will hit in twenty minutes and still we haven't reached any form of shelter.

Azarov and I were on the verge of becoming popsicles if we didn't take cover soon. The night sky is illuminating us with the glow of the moon and we had no sense of direction towards a destination. Our phones rendered useless with its lack of signal. This escape plan took a drastic turn and now we are lost in the woods. The fabric around my skin isn't enough, surprisingly I am sensitive to the cold and have always been.

Grinding my teeth and shivering to radiate some heat throughout my body, until I felt something wrap around my shoulders. Grasping ahold of his coat, I studied through darkness the way Azarov cupped his hands and blew heat into his palms. The suit jacket that once covered his skin is upon my shoulders, his formal shirt being his only source of resistance.

"You're going to get sick." I scold, taking off his jacket and giving it back to him.

Azarov took the jacket and I felt relived until he positioned himself in front of me, tall and intimidating to others but calming towards me. He held the jacket behind me until I put my arms through the holes, It's bagsy and rests upon my thighs.

"I can survive this, you on the other hand is much more sensitive and I don't want you to get sick when I can do something for you." he soothes, kissing my forehead and its astonishing how it held a vast amount of heat.

We continued onto our distorted trail but the butterflies in my tummy increased from simple actions and kind words.

"Thank you."

Even in darkness the smile gracing his delicate lips is breathtaking. There are certain occasions that bring forth such a pure smile and you know it's real due to its rarity. Five minutes passed before we spotted the outline of what appeared to be a tiny cabin. We couldn't have been more thrilled and practically sprinted to the door. The wood is soft and easily breakable with force, lights weren't glowing from the inside. Azarov knocked constantly for a minute and when that proved ineffective he opened the door. It's quite obvious that no one has occupied this place for months, there wasn't any furniture left or even lamps. The air smelt of rain that soaked into the wood and stale from the lack of life.

A bunch of newspapers are scattered all over the floor due to the wind and the fireplace is decorated in grey stone. We couldn't dwell any longer because the cold front hit and instantly the ice felt like it was licking my skin into frostbite. Azarov quickly kicked into action, checking all the cupboards for anything we could use.

Closing the door, I walked over to the fireplace to feel the logs. They were freshly burnt, a couple days. Someone was here before us and we didn't have the option to tread through the forest yet again. Azarov had three logs that appeared to be dry and removed the used one. Pushing the logs into the fireplace, 1 gathered the newspaper and crumpled it to push in-between the logs.

"I hope you have a lighter otherwise this is useless."

His deep laughter is enchanting as he pulled out his metallic lighter and fipped the lid all powerfully. Bringing the flame towards the newspaper, it's slowly eating at the wood and all we could hope for is that it doesn't deteriorate.

Azarov and I take our seats in front of the fire, craving the heat it emits but it's not enough. I'm feeling like my body temperature is decreasing by the minute, even with his jacket. Grinding my teeth and lifing my hands near the fire for warmth, cold weather is surely my weakness. My knees bite into the wood as I sit up and he must have noticed because I see his legs on either side of me and his heated arms wrap around my body, pulling me to sit in-between his legs.