CHAPTER 27: VACATION

[a/n: A short update for everyone. Let's wear our facemasks outside, guys. Infection with Nipah virus (NiV) can cause mild to severe disease, including swelling of the brain (encephalitis) and potentially death. Symptoms typically appear in 4-14 days following exposure to the virus. //google. Prevention is always better than cure. Stay safe, everyone!]

...

Vainca's POV

"Mommy, when will I see Phylbert? I miss her." Said by my lovely daughter, Hyacinth. Her pouty lips and puppy eyes looks adorable.

Phylbert is her cousin, Vera and Matthew's daughter. They visited us here in Italy last week but they have to go back to the Philippines because of business emergency.

I cupped my daughter's face. "You will see her again soon, when they come back. Okay? For now, you can use your ipad and facetime her." I suggested to ease my daughter's longing for her cousin.

"Why don't we go to the Philippines, mommy? Phylbert said Philippines has nice beaches! We can go there and swim!" Hyacinth said full of enthusiasm. Her eyes sparks as she mention the words beaches and swimming.

"Italy has nice beaches too, baby. Do you want to swim this weekends?" I asked trying to divert the topic from which she want to go back to the country I used to call my home.

"Yes!" Magiliw niyang sagot. "Can we invite my friends, mommy? I want to swim with them." She said with puppy eyes.

Napangiti ako. This kid surely knows how to get me.

"Of course, baby. We can invite all your friends. But for now, we need to sleep. You have school tomorrow." I said while fixing the blanket on us. It's already 10:00 pm. I still need to wake up early to prepare her for summer camp and to attend my job.

"I still have a question, mommy." My daughter stated.

"What is it?" I asked calmly while caressing her hair.

"All my friends has mom and dad. Why I don't have a dad? Am I adopted?" Walang muwang niyang tanong.

"No, baby. You are not adopted." I immediately held her hand. "Did anyone call you adopted?" Kalmadong tanong ko habang may kaunting kaba sa dibdib.

My daughter shook her head. "Our teacher said a family consists of a mommy, a daddy, and children! You are the mommy," turo niya sa akin, "and I am the child! But where is the daddy? Where is my daddy?"

I looked at the ceiling as if it will give me the answers. I'm aware that this type of situation are inevitable. Hyacinth is a child, and at her age, they usually have the most questions. I also promised myself not to lie to my daughter. It's her right to know the truth.

I'm trying to gather all the words I can use to explain that her innocent mind can understand. Isang kontroladong buntong hininga ang pinakawalan ko bago magsalita.

"You don't have a daddy.. but you have another mommy and she's in the Philippines." Napuno agad ng tanong ang mga mata niya.

"Why? All my friends have daddies." She asked, confused.

"Because your mommy in the Philippines has special condition. She can be like your friend's daddies." I explained carefully.

"Wow! That's awesome, mommy! I have two mommies!" Sigaw niya na puno ng galak. Halos mapatayo ito sa kama sa idea ng pagkakaroon ng dalawang mommy.

Seeing my daughter's reaction from the truth is both giving me a soft and sore heart. Surely, she will like Clio being her mother, but it's the opposite for Clio. Malabong kilalanin niya ito bilang anak. Or maybe, she'll think I'm bluffing if I ever introduce her to Hyacinth.