CHAPTER 28: LETTER

Vianca's POV

"Is this Auntie Vera's house, mommy?" Hyacinth asked while staring at Vera's three storey house.

"Yes, baby. This is their house." I answered while holding her hand, while my other hand is holding the luggage handle.

"It's huge, mommy. Is Aunt Vera rich?" Inosente pang tanong nito.

"Hmm, soft of." Sagot ko kay Hyacinth. We waited for the gate to open. It revealed Vera who's waiting for us. She has dark circles under her eyes but her face brighten when she saw us.

"Ate!" She jumped to hug me tightly. Binitawan ko ang handle ng maleta para mahaplos ang likod niya. Vera will always be my little sister. She always got my back and vice versa. Moments later, Vera started crying and I can't help myself but to cry as well. "I'm sorry. L-let's go inside."

I smiled and squeezed her hands. In this times, I know we need each other but she needs me more than I need her that's why I need to be strong.

"Mommy, why are you two crying?" Hyacinth asked with concern as soon as we get inside their house. Kanina lang ay namamangha ito sa mansion nila Vera pero ngayon ay sa akin na nakatuon ang atensyon niya.

I kneeled down to level with her. Mahigpit kong hinawakan ang mga kamay niya.

"Baby," nagsimula nanamang mamuo ang luha sa mga mata ko. "Mommy's father, your grandfather.. just passed away last last week. That's one of the reasons why we went here. I'm sorry for not telling you right away. Mommy was just concerned about you, baby." I kissed her hands.

Kinalas niya ang kanyang kamay sa pagkakahawak ko, bagay na ikinatakot ko. I thought she'll run away, or get mad but she didn't. She instead cupped my cheeks. "That's okay, mommy. I know you want to protect me 'cause you're my mommy." Pagkatapos ay niyakap niya ako. "Please, stop crying. I love you, mommy."

I hugged Hyacinth tightly. I almost forgot that I raised Hyacinth with love, affection, and understanding. Hindi siya magagalit because she always understands.

"I love you too, baby. So much." I hugged her even tighter.

...

"How long will you stay here? Does Hyacinth know her mother is here? Will you introduce her to Hyacinth once they see each other?" Vera bombarded me with questions.

We're currently in the dining area having coffee. Her husband, and the kids are already sleeping.

I took a sip on my coffee before answering. "I have plans to introduce her to Clio but I don't know how. Maybe, after the investigation." Vera's face contoured in confusion.

"What investigation?" Takang tanong nito.

"Gusto kong paimbestigahan ang pagkamatay ni dad. I don't believe it's a heart attack. I can sense there's a foul play here." Mataman kong saad saka pinagmasdan ang magiging reaction ni Vera. She looked away. "Why? Is there something you're not telling me?"

Imbes na sagutin ay tumayo ito at umalis. She didn't leave a word and just straightaway left me. I slouched my shoulder to rest my back. What's going on? That was strange. I closed my eyes to think but it was interrupted when Vera cleared her throat causing me to open my eyes. It landed on the paper on her hand.

"I-I lied." Ani Vera. Inabot niya sa'kin ang naka-fold na papel. "It was not a heart attack. Dad.. he.. he took his own life." She stated with shaky voice.

It took me a minute to process the information. I looked at Vera, her eyes are teary. Nanginginig naman ang kamay na inabot ko ang papel.

"The letter was found on his pocket. Hindi ko agad sinabi.. I was afraid to tell you.. because mom also died from s-suicide and it's you who saw her first.. I'm sorry, ate.." Tumungo ang kapatid ko pagkatapos ng pagtatapat niya. I extended my arm to hold hers and smiled.