Nightmare

Kakashi stood frozen, his arm piercing through his friend's chest, the warmth of her blood mingling with his own.
"Rin" he gasped, horrified by the sight before him. Tears streamed down his face, his heart thundering in his chest. Her lips moved forming words he couldn't hear, drowned out by the deafening roar in his ears.

"KAKASHI! KAKASHI!" A voice he recognised was behind him. The 12-year version of Kakashi turned to the sound of the voice screaming his name. Kara. As his blurry vision focused on Kara running towards him, the young boy grew into the 28-year-old version of himself. Still shaking and covered in Rin's blood.

"Kara?" He was bewildered. She had never appeared in his nightmare before.

She ran up to him and grabbed his hands in hers. He tried to flinch away because of the blood he was covered in but she held on tight.

"Kakashi, look at me" he couldn't, he didn't want her to see him this way.

"Kakashi, look at me! This is all a bad dream. It's not your fault she died."
His one onyx eye and sharingan stared at her from her statement- tears still brimming at the surface.
"Kakashi you need to wake up!" Kara's voice pleaded.
"Dreams are no more than a gengetsu we put ourselves under. And I know you can release a gengetsu Kakashi so come on!"

Kakashi shook his head, struggling to comprehend what she is saying. Kara was still holding his hands and proceeded to do a combined release hand sign with hers and his hands.

"Say it with my Kashi" she was looking deeply into his eyes, she could see the fear deep within them.
"RELEASE" she whispered, connecting her forehead with his.

Kakashi snapped awake from his dream to feel a weight pressing down on his body. His eyes fluttered open to see Kara above him, her hands cradling his face, foreheads touching. His breath came in ragged gasps, disoriented by the transition from dream to reality.

Kara sat up releasing her hands from his face but didn't move from straddling him. He sat up with her, looking deeply into her eyes one still blue while the other showed her sharingan. Still not comprehending what had happened when he noticed a tingling sensation in his fingers and saw sparks slowly receding into his palm. His lightening blade. He mustered it during his sleep.

Kara didn't move from his lap and sat there staring into his visible eye. She used her thumb to wipe away the tears that escaped it.

"You're okay, it was just a dream. I pulled you out" she said breaking the silence. He wasn't wearing his headband so she used one hand to brush his cascading hair out of his face.

Kakashi didn't say anything, words eluding him. He just stared at the girl sat on him and used his two arms to wrap around her waist to pull her in closer and he rested his head on her shoulder. Kara did what she only thought was right and wrapped her arms around Kakashi's neck to bring him in closer to her.

He needed confronting, Kara knew that pain of night terrors, she struggles with them herself. Often she awakes in the middle of the night screaming for her parents and the smell of their blood lingering in her senses. It was horrible and at that moment seeing Kakashi, a usual strong shinobie, trembling the way he was, she felt sorry for him and only wanted to confront him.

They stayed in their embrace for several minutes until Kara spoke up pulling herself slightly away from him. Stroking his face and mask with her right hand.

"Kakashi, you need to rest. It's still the middle of the night. I've embedded a key of some sorts into your subconscious with my Sharingan. It will help you break out of your nightmares. It won't last forever and if you want me to remove it I can. But for now, let's get some rest."

Kakashi still not a 100% sure on what happened, he unwillingly loosened his arms around Kara's waist and she climbed off him. She proceeded to climb back into her sleeping bag while he stayed sat there in a state of shock. He didn't want to go back to sleep but he was still tired and reluctantly lied back down into his. He turned his body to face the girl lying next to him. Her eyes were closed but she sensed he was facing her and reached out and grabbed his hand in hers. His heart skipped a beat.

"Go to sleep Kashi, you will be okay now"
With those words, he closed his eyes, picturing only Kara beside him, her hand entwined with his.