Space

Kakashi trudged wearily back to his home after his chat with Naruto. He was lost in thought, feeling the weight of his indecision about his relationship with Kara. As he approached the house, he could immediately sense her chakra presence coming from inside. He gritted his teeth and swallowed hard as he braced himself for what he had to do, despite it breaking his own heart in the process.

"Kakashi?" her voice was soft but filled with an anxious pain as she greeted him through the door.

He had a cold demeanour on him unfazed of her being there as he brushed passed her, "Didn't think you would be here. Picking up clothes or something?" He said plainly, walking past her and towards the bedroom.

Kara's heart sank and started to panic ts Kakashi's coldness towards her. "No, Kashi... I..." her voice cracked, but it barely reached his ears as he already closed the bedroom door in her face.

Alone in the living room, Kara stood frozen, tears threatening to spill over. She knew things were strained between them, but Kakashi's coldness still cut deep.

It was barely a moment until Kakashi re-entered the living room after a quick change into a pair of grey joggers and his tight sleeve-less undershirt, his mask was pulled down like it always was when at home with only her and his hair was free from the constraints of his headband.

He just walked straight past her and into the kitchen-dinner, getting himself a glass of water, ignoring the turmoil he was putting her through.

As Kakashi took a sip of water, Kara mustered up the courage to speak, her voice barely above a whisper, "Kakashi, can we talk?"

He turned to look at her, his dark grey eyes piercing into her soul. "What's left to say, Kara?" he replied bluntly, his tone devoid of emotion. "You said everything yesterday."

Kara felt like she was being ripped apart as Kakashi's words hit her like shurikens to the heart. She took a shaky breath, trying to compose herself, but the hurt and fear were too overwhelming. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean what I said yesterday, not all of it anyway," she began, her voice shaky with emotion.

Kakashi remained silent, watching her closely, his expression unreadable.

"I was just so scared, Kakashi. Scared of losing you like I lost everyone else... my family, my clan... I can't bear the thought of losing you too," she confessed, tears now flowing freely down her cheeks.

"Well, isn't that why you want to rethink this relationship of ours?" he was cold and blunt as he spoke, his words cutting through the heavy tension in the room like a sharp kunai.

Kara's breath caught in her throat at his words, her tear-filled eyes widening in disbelief. "No, Kakashi, that's not what I want," she said urgently, taking a step closer to him, but he moved around the kitchen island to put the distance between them.

"It's what you wanted yesterday, so what's changed since then? Because I haven't."

Kara's heart ached at his words, feeling the weight of their crumbling relationship pressing down on her.

"Kakashi, please listen to me," Kara pleaded, her voice quivering with emotion.

"Listen to what, Kara? I'm not going to change who I am, I'm not going to stop doing what I think is best in order to protect the village." He said, his tone firm and unyielding. "And if you can't handle that, then maybe it's a good thing to rethink things now."

She felt the tears streaming down her face, unable to stop the flood of emotions consuming her. Kakashi remained stoic, his gaze on her unwavering, but a flicker of conflict passed through his eyes, though barely noticeable.