Catching Up

Sawyer

I got Katie back to sleep. When Dillian left around midnight after the two of us ate a half gallon of ice cream and, along with a full bottle of Irish cream liquor, the door closing woke her up.

It took me another half hour of reading Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet to get Katie back to sleep. She demanded I read that story since she enjoyed playing with 'Romie' so much two days ago.

Darius came in while I was reading to Katie. He climbed into the bed at the opposite end of his sister's and was back asleep within five minutes.

Tee arrives at my doorstep ten minutes after Katie falls asleep. He texted me his arrival instead of knocking, thankfully. "I'm so glad you texted instead of knocking. I just got the kids to sleep ten minutes ago."

"I know how it is," he reminds me of the child his family is raising.

Ali's sister-in-love and her two husbands were murdered in front of their little boy, who is now a teenager. Kassius adorably combines his mother and father with golden hair and blue eyes.

To make matters worse, whoever did that had also removed a set of twins from Remy's womb. The family is still attempting to track them down.

This was the night before I was kidnapped by Razor Grothman. I wish Carmen and I would have killed the slippery bastard. He just won't die like some zombie he keeps popping back up every time we think he is dead.

"Tabby had her third kiddo last month." Tabitha and her four guys are close family friends of theirs.

"That's awesome! Are they done having kids?" I ask curiously.

"Tabby just wants one more, since they planned on one kid for each of the fathers. It's been comical since blue balls happen often when they are trying for kids. It's much better for them between trying for kids, according to Lawson."

I laugh, just imagining those four fussing about blue balls. Tabitha's husbands are named Lawson, Quinn, Colton, and Erik. They are the Aftermath Crew, who clean up the Death Kings' crime scenes.

I was always visiting them whenever Dad would send me to stay with Tee and his family during the summer. It was great because I would spend one entire month away from home, but it sucked because it meant I was also spending one full month away from my boys and Carmen. Tee would let me call them on his cell. The other two weeks of the month were spent with Mémeré and Pèrèrè. Ryder, Tee's husband, would send me a cell phone to use while there. I would leave it when I headed back home since Dad didn't allow me to have one until I was fifteen.

I go to the fridge, grabbing a couple of beers for us. We sit close on the couch. "So, how is Ali handling everything? I know it's difficult for her since I'm sure she would love to have her own."

"We can't change the past, but she sure loves the future. She spoils all those kiddos like a proper aunt. I wish we could visit you more often. We would all love to get to know Darius and Katie. I'm sure they would be in into all kinds of trouble, together with Kass."

He is right. Darius and Kassius, or Kass, are the closest in age.

"I have a great support system here. Carmen and her husbands are amazing, and her parents treat the kids as if they were their grandchildren," I remind him.

"I'm happy to hear you say that, me. You still come to visit us. I get pictures from Maman every time you three visit during the summer," he says.

I smirk at that. Mémeré enjoys rubbing it in her son's face about what he is missing out on when he doesn't come to see her.