Wriggle

Sawyer

"Good morning, Seraph." My father says, kissing me on the forehead like I was a small girl again. I missed my father while he was serving time in prison for gun running. It was short-term because he has a rich, influential family member who made sure the time spent being caught was a brief stay.

"Morning, Daddy. You should have told me you were getting out the other day. I would have picked up or sent Carmen."

"I know, cherub, but I had something to do when I got out."

"Something like the pedophile dirty ex-cop. I got him fired Daddy to where he wouldn't be able to work again," I let out a frustrated sigh sitting at the table across from the dark god who left me sore yesterday.

Thankfully, the Meyers had the kids since I had worked late, knowing I was going to need to sleep if I were to pick them up from school. They are lifesavers. I don't know how I would run the club without their aid.

"You would have killed him if you would have walked in on what we did. He was pulling strings for the Ciardha usurper."

Ash pales and it all clicks together. I look at him. "Your uncle?"

Ash stammers with me on repeat. "I came to pick the kid and take him..."

"No," I hiss with a snarl. He quirks a dark brow at me, not taking offense at my outburst. This reaction normally puts people on the defensive, but not this man. He is too good to be true.

"The kid isn't going home again. In fact..." I look at Ash. "Where is your little brother?"

"School. He goes to Venin Federation Lower Academy." Both schools are boarding, which means his uncle had removed this boy to service the former officer.

I have nothing against police officers. Many in the police force take their oaths to protect and serve seriously. They have families and upstanding wonderful citizens. But, as with any profession, there are a few rotten apples.

"Good. Can your uncle get to him?" Ash looks forlorn as he confirms his uncle could hurt his younger brother. "Okay, we will need to act fast. I need to drop the kids off at school, and then I will call Ryder. We will make sure only you can take your younger brother out of school."

Hope sparks in the kid's eyes. "Why don't Riggs and I drop the cherubs off at school for you?"

I chew the pancake I'm eating thoughtfully. Before agreeing to let my father do that so I can help this heartbreaking teenage boy who is attempting to eat without throwing it back up. Well, Ash looks like he is going to vomit at any moment now.

I have to help him. The kid doesn't have anyone in his corner, but that stops now! I don't care if I have to adopt him. I'm already keeping a close watch on the murder times while they are in school at Venin. What's a few more?

"That look says she wants to keep the boy," my father mutters to the man beside him.

"Don't blame her. I want to keep the kid. He needs someone," he rumbles.

Who is this guy? His words and actions do not line up with his reputation as the Death Angel's most feared Sergeant-at-arms. He is supposed this psychopathic killing machine, but I'm seeing it. I'm sure he has blood on his hands, and he is unstable. Then again, all the best I know are mentally unhinged. I include myself alongside my family. He is a conundrum I was to solve and not just to satisfy my sexual needs.

I squirm in my seat at his gaze along. He sips his coffee, and I watch as Adam's Apple bobs in his throat. "You can have some pancakes," I offer, with my voice coming out a tad husky.