The Fall of Shinganshina

Boy P.O.V

I've completely lost track of time. Despite me being able to mostly see in the dark, I still had no sense of time. Was it day? Night? Winter? Summer? Spring? All of these things I had no idea about. Sighing, I lowered my head and looked down at my dismembered wing that I had wrapped around my body, almost wearing it as a pair of shorts. 

Snapping me out of my thoughts, was a squeak that came from my left. Looking at it, I saw it was a small rat with a small bit piece of bread. Smiling, I stroked the rat with my left hand. 

Boy: Thank you. 

Picking up the bread with my right hand, I took a savoury bite out of it, chewing it slowly so I could savour the bland taste. It helped me keep my hunger a little sated at least. Suddenly, the door swung open, prompting the rat to run away. To my pleasure, it was Grisha! He smiled lightly at me. 

Grisha: Hello Mutasim. I'm sorry I've not been able to visit for some time. 

Mutasim: Its okay Mr Grisha sir. 

Grisha: Please, just Grisha is fine. You know this.

Mutasim: S-Sorry... Its just... You're the only one who treats me like an actual person... So I guess I just... have this kind of respect for you. 

Grisha: I understand. How's your head feeling? 

Grisha came back home late last night and wrapped a bandage around my head after treating the wound. It hurt a lot less now, so I think I was okay. I nodded in response. 

Mutasim: I'm okay. 

Grisha: I'm glad to hear that. Listen... I'm sorry, but I have some work in the interior to attend to. I'll be gone for a week or so. 

Mutasim: O-Oh... 

Grisha: But, I won't leave you with nothing. Here. 

Reaching into his bag, he picked out a smaller satchel. I took it and had a closer inspection. 

Mutasim: What is this? 

Grisha: Its a small medical kit for you. Keep it hidden. Don't let anyone take it from you. You remember our sessions where I taught you how to treat your injuries. 

Mutasim: Yeah. So... Is this for me to use on myself when I get hurt? 

Grisha: Yes. It'll be just like we practiced. I'm sure you'll be fine. 

He ruffled my hair, being careful not to touch my injured spot. The gesture made me feel a little more comfortable. After the comfort he provided, he stood up and left my room, closing the door behind him. A low sigh left my lips as I walked to a broken floorboard, tore it up and then placed the satchel inside of it. That was probably the only good thing about a broken down room, I had plenty of places to hide things. Not that I have much to hide though... 

With a low sigh, I laid down on the floor, gazing up at the ceiling. 

Mutasim: Where do I go from here...? This... This can't be the rest of my life, right? 

I muttered to myself. If this was the rest of my life, then its not worth living. Being trapped and caged like a wild animal... This... Nobody deserves to live like this. I didn't realise it, but I had actually shed a few tears from the thought. I just... Needed to hold out some kind of hope, right? 

I don't know how long had passed since Grisha left, but I was taken by surprise when I heard some sort of thunder outside. Whatever it was, it boomed right in my ear! Quickly standing up, I frowned and looked around the walls of the house, unsure of what was happening.