Early Recruitment

Mutasim P.O.V

Morning approached far too quickly for my liking. It felt like I had just fallen asleep as soon as dawn rose up which was a pain. And even more unfortunate was the ringing of bells from outside of the cabin, signalling every cadet had to wake up. 

Groggily, I sat up from my bed and got changed into my uniform alongside Eren and Armin. While the two friends talked to each other, I simply remained silent and focused on changing, my mind still focused on what happened between Annie and I. My heart pounded when I thought about her that night. I knew she was beautiful, but when I saw her smiling and giggling, it just added so much more to what was already on top. 

After changing, I shook my head from those thoughts, preparing myself for the training we'd have to go through today. As soon as I left the cabin, I immediately noticed the commandant with a group of other soldiers, making me frown. My confusion only grew when I recognised the insignia on their coats. It was a pair of wings meaning they belonged to the Scouts! Getting a closer look, I realised that they weren't just random soldiers, the leader of them was Captain Levi! 

Mutasim: What the...? 

Looking around, I realised hardly any other cadets were out of their cabins. I never noticed just how large this field was when no one's around. 

Shadis: Cadet Lycan! 

I slightly jumped from the sudden shout, immediately turning to the old man. 

Shadis: Where is everyone else?! 

Mutasim: I, uh... Assume they're still asleep. For the most part. 

Shadis: Just because I was gone, everyone thought it fine to slack off... In that case, I'll work the rest of you extra hard today! 

Mutasim: Yes sir. 

Shadis: Go to the dining cabin and have your breakfast. The others can starve until dinner. 

I nodded and walked to the dining cabin as he told me to. Though as I walked towards it, I couldn't help but peek from the corner of my eye at the Scouts. What were they doing here? It just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But I was better off not thinking about it. I entered the building and had my breakfast. It was nothing special, but at least I wouldn't be harassed by my stomach groaning and grumbling the whole time. 

After I had finished my breakfast, I left the cabin and saw that the once empty field was now packed with all the cadets. A lot of them were still yawning and half-asleep. Surely the training would wake them up. Quickly, I joined one of the many rows of cadets, standing in line and listening to what Shadis had to say. 

Shadis: Now I'm sure you're wondering what the reason for my departure was. Allow me to clear it up. Recently, its been found that forces for the Scouts have greatly diminished in the war against the Titans. Humanity cannot afford to wait any longer for graduation for recruits. However, not all of you will be selected to join the Scouts this early. Only a select few shall be given the chance to journey beyond the walls and combat the Titans. Many of you will die, but you will die fighting for mankind's sake! Captain Levi and his squad will determine who joins the Scout Regiment early. Today's training will prove your worth. 

So in other words, I could join the Scouts early if I succeeded in impressing Captain Levi? I'd have to give this my all then. Though a lot of the other cadets here didn't seem to want to join the Scouts, so I assumed they'd just hold back and play dumb and weak. I had no intention of that. 

Shadis: Gear up! Your first training exercise will be in the forest! You'll show off how well you can all use your ODM gear. 

Weakly, the cadets nodded except for me who simply smiled and immediately went to the storage room, gathering equipment.