Joining The Cadets

Mutasim P.O.V

Its been a few months since the Titans breached Wall Maria. In a feeble attempt to reclaim the lost land or at least learn more about the Titans, thousands of people who were able were sent to the front lines. Barely any of them made it back with their lives. Unfortunately for me, I had to resume living with Carla and my "brother" and "sister" in a new home, one that was provided for us due to Grisha being a saviour to the city. I guess it was more like an honorary debt that was paid. 

Currently, I was on my way back home after being able to explore the world around me. Since Carla was handicapped and now more lenient, I was able to finally leave the confines of buildings without any problems. And I was able to get dressed into proper clothes that kept my abnormal wing and arm concealed. I couldn't do much for my eye however except grow my hair out and conceal it that way. 

Right now, I was wearing a black shirt, blue pants and shoes that felt a little tight on my feet, but it didn't hurt. As I returned home, my eyes wandered to the various sights around me. The market was busy with people all trying to buy necessities. Food, drinks, fresh clothes, anything that could help them live a more comfortable life. 

Before I knew it, I had arrived at my new home. It was similar to the one we had back in Shinganshina, except it looked a little larger. Then again, the further into the interior you went, the more luxurious everything became. 

I prepared myself by taking a few deep breaths before entering the house. Upon entering, I was met with Carla in her wheelchair, knitting something together. As soon as she heard the door, she looked my way.

Carla: Mutasim. How are you feeling? 

Mutasim : You know you can stop pretending to be nice. 

Carla: Mutasim... I... I really do want to change... I know... I've been horrible to you, but I want to start over. That's all I ask. 

Mutasim: If you really want to start over, then the only way that can happen is if I start over with both my wings. But no. That's not possible because your brat of a son cut it off. You took a part of me! And no matter what I do, I can't be whole again! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my room. 

With that said, I stormed off and entered my room which was a major upgrade. This time, I actually had a bed, a wardrobe and a desk I could all call my own. The time to enlist into the Cadets corp drew closer and I was preparing for it, studying everything I needed to know about the Titans and the gear I'd be using. 

Definitely seemed strange... Me learning all I could to excel in the class only for me to join the Scouts and die beyond the Walls. Honestly, I just wanted to make my end mean something unlike my life in which I've achieved nothing. That was my sole purpose for existing. 

I took a seat at my desk and continued to review my books on the titans, re-reading them and refreshing my knowledge. I don't recall how long I spent at the desk, but I was snapped out of it when I heard a knock on my door. Sighing, I closed my book and stood up, opening the door to reveal Mikasa. 

Mikasa: H-Hi Mutasim... 

Mutasim: What do you want?

Mikasa: I... I just... Wanted to say thanks. 

Mutasim: For what? 

Mikasa: For not leaving me behind. Back when Wall Maria fell, you could've just continued running with Eren and Hannes. But... You saved me. And I hate myself for what I did to you. And for not thanking you earlier. 

Mutasim: Okay. So what? 

Mikasa: Mom wants you to sit with us for dinner tonight. We just... want to talk. A normal conversation. That's all.