Encounter

Mutasim P.O.V

It was time. This morning, we had departed on our "practice run" to bring Eren towards Shinganshina. With the plan memorised by both Levi squad and the other Scouts, we departed. Right now, I was riding alongside Petra and Eren, keeping close to Eren in case he went rogue. If there was another Titan Shifter, this was the best time to take Eren. 

Right now, we were riding down a narrow path in between two sets of forest. To our right, green flares were shot up into the sky. 

Levi: Smoke signals. Green. Oruo, pass it on. 

Oruo: With pleasure, sir. 

He raises his flare gun and fires a green smoke into the air. So far, things were going smoothly, but it was only a matter of time. I tighten my grip on my horse's saddle, bracing myself for a fight. 

Another Scout speaks up, relaying a message to Levi. 

Scout: An oral message, sir! It appears the right-wing spotters have been wiped out! The early warning network is compromised! One of you will need to relay the message down the line! 

Levi: You heard the man, Petra. Go on. 

Petra: Sir! 

She rides off to the left. I let out a low sigh and keep moving with the rest of the team. I notice Eren's expression fall. 

Mutasim: Don't think about it Eren. There's a chance he could've slipped away. 

He nods slowly, acknowledging my words. Before anything else, I see black smoke get shot into the air on our right. 

Mutasim: Captain! Black smoke! 

Levi: I see it. Eren, fire the signal. 

Eren: Yes sir! 

He grabs his flare gun and fires the black smoke into the air. I curse under my breath at the idea of an abnormal making it this far in. But... No. Not just any abnormal would be able to tear their way through the ranks like this. Even abnormals have a limit to how far they'll go to kill someone. 

Eventually, we reach the forest and continue galloping down the path on horseback. The only problem with being in the forest like this is that we wouldn't be able to see a Titan until it landed on us. Something that Eren seemed to notice. 

Eren: Cmon sir, we're in a forest! We won't be able to see a Titan it's right on top of us! The center rank's totally cut off! Something's coming up on the right here, isn't it? So what are we supposed to do? Avoid Titans or defend the wagons? 

Levi: Quit whining and move on from the obvious already. Neither of those is an option anymore. 

Eren: Wha...? What are you talking about? 

Mutasim: Remember where we did all our ODM training? Now compare it to this environment. Perfect place for us to manoeuvre. 

Levi: Mutasim's right. The best tool you can use to survive is your brain. Analyse the environment and think about how you can twist it to your advantage. 

Eren: Y-Yes sir! 

Petra had joined back with us a while ago, but I couldn't help but notice that she seemed scared. Erwin told me that he didn't tell the other members of the Levi Squad which meant everyone else except for me was in the dark about our real mission here. As much as I wanted to comfort Petra, I stayed silent. 

It wasn't long until I hear the sound of black smoke rising in the air. I turn my head and see it came from behind us, signalling that the abnormal was close by.