Annie's Isolation

3rd P.O.V

A few days have passed since Mutasim left the 104th Cadets Corp to join the Scouts and things have remained mostly the same. Rarely, the cadets would talk about how determined Mutasim seemed to join the Scouts and called him a suicidal maniac. But they were shut down by Mikasa and Eren for entirely different reasons. Eren shared Mutasim's determination to join the Scouts, while Mikasa simply wouldn't allow anyone to speak ill of Mutasim. 

Unknown to everyone else, there was one cadet who was devastated by Mutasim departing. Annie Leonhardt. She became colder, much more silent and barely anyone saw her after training. She would just disappear. Something that Mikasa had noticed after the third day. Curious to know more, she had decided that she would follow Annie wherever she went after training. While it seemed strange for Mikasa to stalk Annie, the blonde woman was the only one who was really close to Mutasim. That was reason enough in Mikasa's eyes. 

Night had fallen and Annie was nowhere to be seen on the training grounds. She had already left to go somewhere, alone. However, Mikasa was able to catch some sort of clue on the short woman's whereabouts. She had noticed Annie always looking into the forest during training and once, she even caught her entering the forest. 

Currently, Mikasa was roaming through the forest right now, searching for Annie. As she searched, her thoughts lingered on her adoptive "brother" and how he was enlisted into the Scouts early. He wanted to die and odds were that he would die and no one would even know. Just the thought of him dying without anyone that actually knew him around was horrible for Mikasa to imagine. 

Mikasa: Mutasim... Please stay alive... 

She muttered under her breath. Suddenly, Mikasa came to a stop as she heard something nearly silent, but also quite gentle. Like ripples in water of a kind. Turning her body to the source, she slowly crept towards it. Peeking through a bush, she had found a beautiful clearing with a small bed of water. The lack of tree branches above the water allowed the moonlight to shine down and reflect off it, only illuminating the beauty even more. 

And to Mikasa's surprise, she had found Annie sitting at the edge of the water, with her legs inside, kicking the water. The raven haired woman kept silent and simply watched, wondering what Annie was thinking and doing here. As Mikasa watched Annie, she noticed that Annie's body tensed up slightly, almost trembling. 

It wasn't until Annie curled her legs up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them that she realised what was happening. Annie was crying? It was something Mikasa didn't think was possible. Everyone knew Annie as being near emotionless and an introvert. So to witness Annie letting loose like this was... abnormal. But Mikasa could understand Annie's position. The one friend, someone who mattered to you, being taken away or leaving... And it was no secret that Mutasim and Annie were close. If only Mikasa knew just how close... 

Tempted to walk up to Annie, Mikasa decided against it and shook her head, sneaking away from Annie. She felt it would've been cruel to interrupt her time alone and she felt that Annie needed this time alone to try and recover from Mutasim's departure. Much like Mikasa did when her parents were taken from her. 

While Mikasa walked away, Annie remained at the pool, recollecting her kiss with Mutasim at the very same pool she was sat at. She loved Mutasim, but with her... "condition", it was too late, meaningless even. What good would short and temporary happiness do for the man she loved when he would have to watch her wither away? She wanted to hold him, to cherish him. And most of all, to leave behind her mission. It was cruel, unjust and being with Mutasim made her forget all of it. The lives she had taken, the families she had torn apart... 

In a way, she saw this as her punishment. What love does a killer deserve? Why should a murderer have love when she had denied so many families their own? And yet... She still longed for such a future, for a "normal" life. To be married, to have children of her own. 

Annie: Mutasim... 

I miss you