Enlistments

Mutasim P.O.V

Morning was a drag. As soon as I woke up, I was forced to go to Hange to where she researches Titans. I wouldn't have bothered going but it was a... "special circumstance". On a previous mission, we were able to catch two Titans who Hange named Sawney and Bean. This morning, they were found dead. Witnesses state that the killer used ODM gear which made a lot of new cadets suspect. It fell to me to investigate, since Erwin suggested it. 

It was a long morning. I had to interrogate a lot of familiar faces about their gear, but I didn't get to question Annie. She was interrogated by someone else. Maybe it was for the best. I hadn't really talked to her since... that night we shared. In my heart, I both wanted and didn't want to talk to her. It made no sense to me and I had no idea how to deal with it. 

When interrogations were done, the cadets were free to go. And then there was the rest of the day... 

The Levi Squad, myself included, were preparing for our next mission which would be set in motion soon enough. Though as I look to my side, seeing Eld and Gunther having a drink, I can't help but overhear their conversation about the enlistments later today. I shake my head slightly and continue tending to a horse. It's not long until I hear Gunther call out to Eren and I. 

Gunther: Hey, Eren, Mutasim. You know if anyone in your class is thinking about joining us? 

I remain silent and stroke a horse's head. 

Mutasim: Not a clue. Actually... No. I know at least one thick skulled person that's gonna join. 

Eren: You don't mean Mikasa, right? 

Mutasim: You know how she is. Of course she's gonna join. And believe me, I'm not happy about it. 

He nods slowly, not wanting to get on my bad side after the court beating. It felt surreal, being feared by someone who tormented me in my younger years. 

Eren: Well... There were a few. But now I'm not so sure. 

Out of nowhere, Gunther shouted. 

Gunther: Fall in! 

Looking away from the horses, I see Levi riding towards us. 

Levi: Make ready, people! We're going on patrol. 

Gunther + Eld: Yes sir! 

Eren salutes and speaks clearly. 

Eren: Good morning, captain! Reporting for duty! 

Levi: Eren, you will stay within 10 metres of me or Mutasim at all times. The only reason you're out of your cell is because I'm keeping an eye on you. Understood? 

Eren: Yes sir! 

Levi: Let's ride. 

Mutasim: Finally, a chance to stretch my legs. 

Levi: Not you for today. 

Mutasim: Huh? Why not? 

Levi: The enlistment is today and Erwin wants you to help give the speech. He thinks that if the cadets hear some words of encouragement from someone their age, it might convince some to join the Scouts. 

Mutasim: And this guy can never clear this kind of crap up with me face to face, can he...?

Levi: You know how Erwin is. Don't worry. Next mission you can tag along. 

Mutasim: Understood. Stay safe out there. 

With a nod, Levi rides away. The other three mount horses and follow after him, leaving me behind. I sigh quietly and head back into the Scouts HQ, finding Erwin sat down at in a table. I approach him and sit down.