Burdens

Mutasim P.O.V

After the trial was over, Eren was handed over to the Scouts and now he was in the Levi Squad's custody. Right now, Levi, Hange and Erwin were with Eren. He was still recovering from the beatdown I gave him earlier, but I couldn't care less. 

Right now, I was with the rest of the squad, eating dinner. It was a mostly silent dinner which felt unnerving. But I had a good hunch why. Sighing, I put my fork down. 

Mutasim: Alright. It's obvious you guys want to talk about what happened in the court, so just ask. 

Petra: W-Well... It's just... We've never seen you that angry before. I mean, using Titans as whips, tearing them apart in two and all the other brutal kills you've comitted... It just seemed inhuman what you did to Eren. 

Oruo: Hey, didn't the captain say that you were going to tell Petra about some girl trouble? 

Mutasim: It's not "girl trouble". It's... family, trouble. 

Gunther: Huh? Wait, you're related to Eren and that Mikasa girl?! 

Mutasim: I was adopted. Grisha Yeager, Eren's father, found me alone in an alley, mourning my parents. They were stabbed by some low life thugs right in front of me. And I couldn't do anything to stop it. Grisha helped me, gave me a roof over my head and did his best to look out for me. But... I was... different to everyone else. There's a reason I hide a lot of my body. And it's not because they're scarred from injuries. I... was born with... It's easier if I just show you. 

Pushing out from my back, my wing tore through my clothes, revealing itself to the others. As I did that, I felt much more at ease. 

Everyone's eyes widened, stunned at the sudden reveal

Everyone's eyes widened, stunned at the sudden reveal. But I didn't stop with simply revealing my wing. I pulled up my sleeve, revealing my black scaled arm and brushed aside my fringe of hair, showing off my crimson eye. Unable to wonder what they thought, I kept my gaze low. I felt horrible about keeping all of this a secret, after all these guys have done for me, after all I've done for them. 

Mutasim: I've wanted to tell you guys. But... My whole life, I was ostracised for these features of mine that were completely out of my control. Eren, Mikasa and Carla Yeager... They all hated me, beat me nearly every day of my childhood. Grisha... was the only one who really cared. He kept me fed, healed my injuries and even taught me how to treat myself. I had two wings at one point. But Eren cut it off, leaving me with only the one. I... I'm sorry...

Eld: The hell are you apologising for? 

Frowning, I looked up at the squad to see they were all smiling softly and almost uplifting. 

Gunther: You really think we care you kept this from us? You were scared, there's no shame in that. We all get scared sometimes. 

Oruo: And it's like we said months ago, you're an equal to us now. Which means no matter what, we look out for each other. It's how it's always been and it's how it'll always be.