Chapter Three: Chae-rin

"Let's fake date," Namjoon repeats.

I know that we've had a few drinks, but how can he say this without cracking a smile? It makes me think he is 100% serious about this idea. After bringing this idiot some groceries, I ended up staying to hang out with him. We ended up having dinner and having a few drinks, like I just mentioned. Then he told me about Ae-ra and him.

"I don't understand how that's going to help you," I reply. "Where is the logic behind your idea?"

"Because if maybe if Ae-ra sees me with you, she'll realize something," he mumbles. "I just need to see her reaction. If she's jealous, or sad, then it means she still loves me and there's a chance! If she's indifferent..." he gulps, "Then, I'll have to move on."

"Joon," I scoff at the absurdity, "what is going on in that mind of yours? You are quite literally a genius, but this is one of your more stupid ideas."

"I could help you, too," he says, not backing down from this idea.

"How can you help me? With what?" I shake my head.

"You were just complaining about not having much experience with men! I can help you with that."

What?! Does he realize that I meant more than just dating when I said that? I meant in bed, also... Don't get me wrong, I'm not a virgin, but being in school and always having to study, it makes it hard to date. I don't just sleep with anyone and so the last time I've slept with someone was almost a year ago with my last boyfriend.

"Chae-rin, c'mon," he whines.

"Shut up! You are being...do you even understand the words coming out of your mouth, Namjoon?"

"I do," he mumbles. "Look, it was just...a suggestion. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable... I just figured, well, since you and I are best friends that we could just help each other out. I feel so comfortable with you and I know you feel the same with me."

"You're..." He's not wrong. I do feel comfortable with him and I mean, if there was someone who I trusted to sleep with, to show me things, he is definitely on the list. In a way...he does make sense. What? What am I thinking?! "Crazy," I finish.

"Yeah, okay," he sighs, slumping against his sofa. "Forget I said it. I just...I want her back so badly. I know she was lying about the reason. I just know it. There's something else."

"Why don't you just ask her?"

"She refuses to talk to me! I have tried calling her, texting her and I even reached out to her brother," he groans. "Nothing!"

"You asked Jimin to help you?"

"Yeah," he murmurs. "I know, I'm pathetic..."

"You're not pathetic," I say softly. "You are just very much in love and heartbroken." I check my phone and it's almost midnight. I really have to go. I should have left hours ago, but I couldn't just abandon him when he was trying to sort out his emotions. I think he's okay, for now at least. "Joon, I have to go home."

His head snaps up and he sighs. "Yeah, it's late. I'm sorry you-"

"Do not be sorry," I tell him. "I enjoyed hanging out with you like this. It's been a while since we've just talked like this."

"I know. It has." He stands up when I do. "I've missed you, Chae-rin."

I turn to face him and smile. "I've missed you too, Joon." Without warning, he pulls me into a warm embrace. "What is this for?"

"Because I'm just appreciative," he replies. "Thank you for being my best friend and always being there for me. I'm sorry that I...that I neglected you for-"