⚖️/Chapter 1

A few months after Neuvillette gained his position as judge of Fontaine, he was introduced to his co-worker, Wriothesley, at his office in Meropide.

"So, Neuvillette, this is Wriothesley, the leader of the Fortress of Meropide. And Wriothesley, this is Neuvillette, Chief Justice of Fontaine."
Said the person who was introducing them.

Neuvillette showed his hand for Wriothesley to shake. His expression was as serious as ever, and his tone expressed no emotion.
"A pleasure, Mr. Wriothesley."

"Ohoho, the pleasure is mine, Mr. Neuvillette~"
Wriothesley replied with a light laugh and a wink while taking his hand.
"I've heard a lot about you, but it's even better to see you personally."
He said with an easy-going attitude, and his tone was friendly to Neuvillette.

Neuvillette had no reaction, he shook Wriothesley's hand and then let go.
Of course in his thoughts, he thought Wriothesley was too nice, but he didn't mind.

The person who introduced them explained that they had to write documents about the trials that Neuvillette did and investigate certain cases about criminals.

"Oh, a pleasant task, isn't it? Well then, how about a cup of tea before you start, Mr. Neuvillette? It's a very special one, with my own secret recipe."
Wriothesley asked and offered the tea he already prepared, still with an easy-going attitude. Perhaps he just want to break the ice first, as he knew that Neuvillette was quite a cold and serious man.

"I'll skip that part, thank you."
Neuvillette said with his serious tone, sitting on the chair at Wriothesley's office and putting his documents on the table.

"So be it, Mr. Neuvillette."
Wriothesley said lightly, and nodded to him.
He then sat opposite to him, and also putting the documents and papers on the table. The documents were about Neuvillette's previous works and decisions made in Fontaine.
"Alright, we can start anytime you want. No hurry at all."
Wriothesley said calmly, and started to check out the first document.

Neuvillette was reading all the document, he was focused.
It was strange, he just met Wriothesley and he was already so friendly, there was clearly something that he was hiding, at least it was what it looked like.

"Hmm, I see..."
Wriothesley said after reading about half of the documents. He then closed the documents and looked at Neuvillette, with a friendly smile.
"Ahh, this is quite interesting. It's all about previous trials during your time as the chief justice, is that it?"
He asked with a cheerful tone. He was quite interested in Neuvillette and how he judged the cases previously.

Neuvillette looked up at him with his serious expression as always and nodded.
"Yes, you're right, that's what it is."
He said.

"Ohohoho, Mr. Neuvillette, I just have to say, I am impressed with your previous works! They are quite... insightful and interesting to read."
Wriothesley said while praising him, still with a friendly attitude. He sounded like he was genuinely impressed by Neuvillette's works.
"You were really thorough about judging people, even the smallest details can't be left out... That's a great characteristic to have as the chief judge, I must say!"
He finished praising him.

Neuvillette kept silent, as he wasn't the one who liked talking so much. He nodded as an action of gratitude and started writing some documents.

"Hmm... Hmm... Mr. Neuvillette... May I ask you a question?"
Wriothesley suddenly asked, and still seemed cheerful. He started to drink the cup of tea he prepared while waiting for Neuvillette's response.

Neuvillette looked up at him and nodded, still with his serious expression, his eyes deep in thoughts.
"Yes."

"As you must have noticed, I am currently managing the Fortress of Meropide and also making sure that everything is going well here. Do you think it's a good idea if we make a direct connection between our office and your office, at the Court of Fontaine? This way, Meropide and Fontaine can work together well. That's of course, if you think the idea is right for your office. I'm just suggesting it, please do consider it..."
Wriothesley asked lightly, still drinking his tea while waiting for Neuvillette to answer.

Neuvillette realized from the beginning that there was something strange about Wriothesley's friendly demeanor, and this question only confirmed that he was indeed hiding something.
Neuvillette decided to accept, as it would be good for him to realize what Wriothesley is hiding.
"Of course, it's a great idea."
He said, his voice and face conveying no expression.

"Hmm, excellent! Excellent!"
Wriothesley said happily and finished his tea.
He then picked up his pen and paper, and wrote down the necessary informations.
"I will send someone with the document to your office as soon as possible! I promise you, Mr. Neuvillette. There will be no delay on my end at all."
He said with a bright smile on his face. It looks like he is just really excited to do what he's doing right now.

Neuvillette nodded. He stoop up, ready to leave.
"Alright, then I'll see you around, Mr. Wriothesley."

"Of course, Mr. Neuvillette."
Wriothesley finished writing down the document and stood up, shaking Neuvillette's hand once again. He also wished Neuvillette a good day, and told him to visit Meropide whenever he has the chance.
"Have a good day, Mr. Neuvillette~"

Neuvillette left, he went to his own house and gave deep thoughts about Wriothesley's personality, who was really weird in fact. He was way too friendly.

Indeed, it was quite strange of Wriothesley as he is just too friendly to everyone, even to people he just met like Neuvillette. But maybe that's just his personal behaviour... Or perhaps, there are more things hidden underneath that surface...

Neuvillette even thought that Wriothesley was a criminal he once tried in court, but perhaps that thought is already over the line, since Wriothesley worked as the Lord of Meropide. It's a shame Neuvillette doesn't remember all the people he tried in court.
But still, Neuvillette couldn't help feeling suspicious about Wriothesley. After all, Meropide was a place known to house many convicts, even the most dangerous of them all. Perhaps, Wriothesley is one among those criminals... Even though there is no proof to show that he's a criminal, Neuvillette still felt suspicious about him.

[Meanwhile, Wriothesley in his office.]

Wriothesley, in his office right now, just finished writing a letter to the Court of Fontaine.
"Dear Mr. Neuvillette and the Court of Fontaine.
I am glad to inform you that the office of Meropide and the office of Fontaine will be connected from now on, through the network in the Fortress.
I promise you that Meropide will assist Fontaine with anything it needed."
He then signed and sealed the letter with his silver wolf insignia, and handed it to a guard.

The next day, Neuvillette was in his office at the Court of Fontaine, and received the letter. He read it and confirmed it was true.

The day after, Neuvillette started to receive a lot more documents than he's used to. One of them was even from Wriothesley himself, telling him that he can't wait to work together with Neuvillette.

At first, he felt happy that the work is easier now. But then... Perhaps it's too easy... Neuvillette started to suspect that Wriothesley wanted to find a way to dig dirt on him, and perhaps that's why Wriothesley was so eager to connect the offices...
Neuvillette tried to ignore these thoughts and continued with the work, as the people of Meropide confirmed that Wriothesley was a trustworthy man. As much as the people there hid all their secrets, he decided to trust Wriothesley's word.

After many more days, working with Wriothesley is quite productive for Neuvillette. He still can't deny his suspicious that Wriothesley might be plotting something, and even start to wonder if he was just imagining things. But despite all that, he still trusted Wriothesley's word. But that doesn't keep him from being cautious... He just hopes that nothing bad would happen...

That same day, Neuvillette went to Meropide to visit Wriothesley. He entered his office and greeted him.
"Hello, Mr. Wriothesley."
He said, his tone serious...