⚖️/Chapter 24

There was Clorinde, Furina and Neuvillette. Trying to come up with a reason to release Wriothesley from prison, Neuvillette finished his speech.
"Lady Furina...But what about..."...
_____________________

"About the Primordial waters... what if they break free and Wriothesley dissolves? You know that place is dangerous!"
Neuvillette said, worried but still serious.

Clorinde nodded, agreeing with Neuvillette.
Navia was outside, listening to the conversation.

"Ah please! Even if not, he works in Meropide, the danger will still be the same."
Furina said, refusing to listen to excuses.

"But this way, being in prison, he won't be able to escape quickly!"
Neuvillette said, a little more desperate on the subject.

"But... you expect me to get him out of prison just for that? I mean, I'm not even mentioning his criminal past!"
Furina said with a higher tone of voice at the end, crossing her hands. She thinks Wriothesley deserved to be in prison, not only for marrying Neuvillette but also for his criminal past.

Navia joined the conversation and spoke, stopping next to Clorinde.
"But... have you ever stopped to think about their daughter? Sigewinne? Clearly it will be difficult for her to be without Wriothesley's presence."
Said Navia.

Neuvillette looked at Navia and nodded, agreeing with her.

Clorinde then looked at Furina, speaking.
"And you know Wriothesley isn't a bad guy."
Clorinde said.

Furina was silent for a few moments, thinking about what to say.
"Still, he was a criminal! It's justice!"
Furina said, a little irritated.

Neuvillette sighed.
"But he doesn't do crimes anymore." Neuvillette said, seriously.

Furina laughed.
"Ahahahaha!~ Ohoho, is this a joke?"

Meanwhile, Wriothesley in prison...
Wriothesley sighed, he spoke to himself.
"This is ridiculous! I can't believe my marriage is what got me arrested again. If Furina won't let me out, then I'll force her hand."
Wriothesley then planned his escape in silence, he knew it wouldn't be easy to escape again but he would do anything to get back with Neuvillette and Sigewinne.
...

Back to Neuvillette, Clorinde, and Furina in the Court of Fontaine, Furina was laughing at Wriothesley's attempts to escape prison and to convince her to let him go.
"You can try to convince me to let him go but I won't! The marriage was one thing, but his criminal past is unacceptable too!"
Furina said angrily, Neuvillette and Clorinde started to worry, they didn't think Furina would be that stubborn.

Neuvillette looked at her, he wasn't happy with this, in fact, deep down he was angry.
"Furina, do you hear yourself? Wriothesley is completely different now and you still want to punish him for his crimes."

Furina rolled her eyes, she continued speaking in an angry voice.
"Yes, I heard you... still, he is a criminal. He cannot be with another mortal being again."

Neuvillette looked at Furina, his expression still serious, yet his voice worried.
"Furina, please. We need Wriothesley, he's our family."
He said.

"He's your family, not mine. I don't agree with this. Wriothesley's actions went too far to be ignored."
Said Furina, she was clearly getting more irritated by time, since she didn't agree with any word of Neuvillette.

"I want my dad..."
Said Sigewinne sitting in the couch, she looked sad, she missed Wriothesley. Tears started forming in her eyes.

Neuvillette looked at her, he then looked at Furina and spoke.
"See? My daughter misses him, and so do I!"
Said Neuvillette.

Clorinde and Navia nodded.
This was insane, after all, Neuvillette was the one who agreed to get Wriothesley out of prison, so, why would Furina want to arrest him again?
Everyone was against Furina's decision, but she didn't seem to change her mind.

Furina sighed, she looked at Sigewinne then looked at Neuvillette again.
"I'm sorry Monsieur Neuvillette, but it's my job to execute justice. Your husband belongs in prison and the law prohibits him from getting married to another immortal person."
She said.

It was about to rain outside, clouds started forming, yet Neuvillette kept his serious expression.
"Why is the law set this way? Just because I'm not human, I can't get married and have a happy life? Just because Wriothesley will die and I won't?!"
He said.

Furina looked at Neuvillette and took a deep breath, annoyed.
"You can thank the Primordial waters from Celestia for that. They're the reason why the law was written that way."
Everyone was silent after hearing Furina's comment.

Neuvillette then spoke in the silence, he took a deep breath.
"But Furina, I'm the Chief Justice, I'm Iudex Neuvillette, not you."
He said, still serious yet annoyed and disappointed.

Furina couldn't believe Neuvillette was criticizing her decision, no one ever dared to make a move like this in front of her. She sighed and looked at Neuvillette, her tone of voice was colder than usual.
"As the Hydro Archon, I override any decisions made by any other judge in Fontaine. This includes you, Neuvillette."

Neuvillette was surprised to hear this, he never thought it was possible for Furina to override his decisions, but he had no choice but to accept it.
"Then... How many years of prison will he get?"
Neuvillette asked.

Navia and Clorinde stayed silent, listening to the conversation.

Furina rolled her eyes and looked at Neuvillette dismissively.
"Oh please, you're trying to negotiate with me as if I would show sympathy for this criminal."
Furina paused for a moment, she then decided to tell Neuvillette the harsh truth.
"This time, Wriothesley is not getting a life sentence, he's getting a death sentence."
Everyone in the room gasped after hearing this news. This can't be happening.

The skies over Fontaine immediately filled with rain-filled clouds. Neuvillette was clearly saddened to hear this.
"What?! A death sentence?! Lady Furina, he doesn't deserve that, Furina!"
Neuvillette screamed in despair, he was a serious man, but his eyes were filling with tears this time.

Sigewinne started crying, she didn't want her father to die.
Navia sat next to Sigewinne and tried to calm her down about the situation.

Clorinde was shocked, she whispered to herself.
"A death sentence...?"

Furina didn't care about Neuvillette's tears, she was angry and wanted to see someone being punished and punished hard.
"I don't care, Neuvillette, I've made my decision. Wriothesley is going to die, there's nothing you can do about it."
She continued, this time with a more sadistic tone.
"Oh, and don't think your little outburst will help you, because it won't. Your power as Chief Justice can be revoked at any time."

Sigewinne was hugging Navia, and Clorinde was so shocked that she didn't even know what to say.
All that could be heard in this silence was Neuvillette's rapid breathing and words.
"Please show pity! What will Sigewinne do? She can't lose her father at that age! I'm incapable of taking care of her alone!"
He said, desperate, he didn't even know what to say anymore.
"And I... I will never find a man like him, who was able to give me love and affection."
Neuvillette whispered, a single tear falling from his eye, it was rare to see Neuvillette cry in public...