⚖️/Chapter 21

Neuvillette blushed and laughed lightly.
After a while, his serious expression returning, he took the handcuffs from the secretary and restrained Wriothesley, grabbing his hands.
"Well, other than that now, head to Meropide."...
_____________________________

Wriothesley's expression became serious once again as he saw Neuvillette take out the handcuffs and restrain him.
"Are you really going to send me back to Meropide now, Neuvillette? I was expecting that you would have some mercy towards me... especially since we're going to be married."
He looked at Neuvillette with a pleading look. He didn't want to go back to Meropide, especially now that he thought he was going to get married with Neuvillette.

"Wriothesley, it's not up to me to decide, it's my job."
Neuvillette said, heading towards the office exit door.
"And we're going to get married, except you have to be in prison for your crimes."
He said, leaving the office now.

Wriothesley groaned loudly when he heard that he needs to be in prison for his crimes.
"Oh, come on, Neuvillette. Please, please don't do this to me. I won't be able to survive without you. We're getting married, we can't be apart anymore..."
He pleaded to Neuvillette, trying to convince him to let him out of prison, but deep down, Wriothesley knew that he had to face the consequences of his crimes.

Neuvillette sighed, he whispered lowly.
"Okay, okay, I know you won't change even if you go to jail..."
He said, looking at him now.
"But I can't release you, I'll lose my job. Unless you have a plan."

Wriothesley looked at Neuvillette with a hopeful gaze.
"I do have a plan, Neuvillette! You see... I do want to change, and make this work. Please trust me, and hear me out."
He looked at Neuvillette with a confident smile, knowing that he can convince Neuvillette to believe in him.
He wanted to prove that he really can be a good man, and a good husband to Neuvillette.

Neuvillette sat in the office chair and looked at Wriothesley, ready to listen to him.

Wriothesley walked closer to Neuvillette and kneeled down slightly, trying to look up to him with a smile.
"So, my plan is... we both run away from Fontaine and the Court. Yes, I know that is a reckless decision, but this is the only plan I have that can allow me to stay with you, Neuvillette."
He looked at Neuvillette with a pleading look.
"Please... will you run away with me, Neuvillette?"

Neuvillette sighed, he looked at Wriothesley, outside starting to rain, as the thought of it made him sad.
"But Wriothesley... I need my job."

The sight of Neuvillette being upset at the thought of losing his job made Wriothesley's smile slowly disappear from his face.
"Okay, okay... I understand, Neuvillette. We can't be running away. I'm sorry for even suggesting that."

Neuvillette put his hands in Wriothesley's, whispering.
"I'll try to do something to convince the rest of the people to agree to get you out of prison, okay?"
Neuvillette said, smiling, the rain stopping as he was happier.
"But Wriothesley, I really need you to stop committing crimes, and just go back to being the Duke of the Fortress of Meropide, with no crimes to commit, okay? Remember, you can't hide crimes from me."
He said.

Wriothesley gently put his hands on top of Neuvillette's. A wave of relief washed over Wriothesley, glad to see Neuvillette still smiling despite the rain.
"Yes, Neuvillette, I promise I will stop committing crimes from now on. This time, I'll be a good man, and a good husband to you."
He kissed Neuvillette's forehead.
"I will return to just being a Duke of Meropide, and no long a criminal."

Neuvillette blushed slightly, he smiled a little and grabbed Wriothesley's hands.
"Do you really promise this time?"

"I promise you, Neuvillette. From now on, you will never hear anything about me committing any crimes ever again. I'll be a good person from now on, just for you and for our marriage."
Wriothesley looked at Neuvillette with a confident smile, wanting him to believe him fully.
"...and I'll also stop trying to hide anything from you."
He said that last sentence with a cheeky yet soft smile.

Neuvillette nodded.
"It's okay, I trust you."
He said, his voice serious as always. A moment later, he stood up and headed towards the exit door.
"Wriothesley, don't leave my office. I'm going to talk to the people in court about you not committing any more crimes."
He said, looking at him.
"And I'm going to take responsibility for it, so if you do something wrong, the blame will go to me and I'll lose my job, so..."

Wriothesley looked at Neuvillette with a grateful look before nodding.
"Don't worry, Neuvillette. You won't have to worry about me doing anything criminal or illegal. I'll do my best to be a good Duke of Meropide, and a good husband to you."
He then gave Neuvillette a smile.
"Now go and do your work. I'll be here waiting for you."

Neuvillette nodded. He then left his office and went to the court.
Neuvillette spoke to several important people from Fontaine: Navia, Clorinde, Lyney, Lynette, Freminet, Furina. And many others, most of them didn't care, since it was Neuvillette's responsibility, and Clorinde even defended the idea, since she already tried to help Wriothesley get out of prison.

Furina, the Hydro Archon, is the one who wasn't very convinced about this.
"What?! But he can't lead Meropide if he commits crimes! He has to be locked up there!"
Furina said, her voice irritated. Neuvillette sighed and spoke.

"I know, but it's my responsibility, he needs that job."
He said, seriously...

Wriothesley waited patiently in Neuvillette's office for several minutes, not doing anything in particular, as he's waiting for Neuvillette to return from the Court, praying for him to convince everyone that he shouldn't be imprisoned in Meropide.
He then thought to himself that he needs to stop worrying about Neuvillette and him getting arrested, as he should be working on himself, even if it's a difficult task.
He shook his head, trying to forget about what's happening right now, and thought about something else.

"Wriothesley is a trustworthy man, he's a good guy, Furina!"
Neuvillette said, convincing her. As much as he was the Chief Justice of Fontaine, having Hydro Archon's approval would also be great.

"You say that because you spend nights in bed with him."
Furina said, her voice teasing, she rolled her eyes.

Neuvillette blushed slightly.
"I can't deny that, but it's serious. He's always been a good leader for Meropide and has never done anything bad to the people there. We can't look at him like he's a monster."
He then returned to his serious expression, looking at Furina, hoping she would understand his point of view.

[...]

As hours pass, Wriothesley remained in the office, patiently waiting for Neuvillette to come back with good news.
"Please... please come back with good news, Neuvillette... Don't let me be in prison anymore. I'll do anything, Neuvillette."
He was getting visibly worried, as he thought that nobody will advocate him, and that he will be locked in Meropide forever.

And at that time, Neuvillette arrived at his office, seeing Wriothesley sitting there.
He locked the door and looked at him, his expression was as serious as ever. Would he have good news?...