pt.17

Bodies of both friend and foe littered the ground as the battle between Xena, Gabrielle, and their allies against Alti and her army waged on. Amongst the chaos, Ephiny faced off against Velasca and her daughter Celine. Outnumbered, Ephiny did everything she could to fend off the mother-daughter duo. She blocked and countered both of their strikes as they came at her in tandem. Celine slashed at her and Ephiny blocked as Velasca attacked while Celine had her occupied. Spotting movement out of the corner of her eye, Ephiny ducked under Velasca's swing as she then quickly knocked Celine away and drove her elbow back into Velasca's stomach. Celine quickly came back at Ephiny who responded with a swift kick to the back of her leg that dropped Celine down to one knee and a downward swing of her sword towards the back of Celine's neck. Just before Ephiny connected, her momentum was stopped by another blade that blocked her.

VELASCA
To think that you would try to kill my daughter. And you said that I was out of line for trying to take what we both know should have been mine.

Velasca pushed Ephiny's blade away and kicked her. Ephiny backed off a bit as she regained her composure.

EPHINY
Velasca I refuse to stand here and be lectured by you when you know full well what you tried to do to Gabrielle was wrong. That was why you tried to assassinate her from the shadows. And in case you need to be reminded both you and Celine are already dead, so all I'm doing is sending you back to where you belong.

CELINE
Not if we send you there first.

Celine came at Ephiny with a flurry of strikes as Ephiny fought back. The two clashed repeatedly as Velasca came back into the fray and Ephiny was forced to split her attention between the two as they attacked her from opposite sides. Celine swung and Ephiny blocked as she then pushed her weapon away. She followed up with a swing at Velasca who ducked and retaliated with a lunge and a thrust of her sword. In a swift motion, Ephiny turned her sword downward as  Velasca's blade scraped against hers as it continued forward and Ephiny redirected it away from her. Then without hesitation, Ephiny spun as she swung her weapon and Velasca ducked to avoid the attack. As she stood straight once more, Velasca brought her knee up into Ephiny's midsection. The shot momentarily stunned Ephiny as she hunched forward on reflex and Velasca took her sword and swung it down towards Ephiny. With the blade coming down towards the back of her head and neck, Ephiny dropped to the ground and Velasca's swing missed as Ephiny swept her leg and knocked Velasca to the ground next to her. Ephiny was about to get up when she saw a shadow being cast over her. Knowing what had caused the shadow Ephiny managed to roll out of the way just in time as Celine drove the point of her sword down and barely, missed impaling Ephiny with her weapon. Moving fast Ephiny was back on her feet and immediately ducked out of the way as Celine swung wildly at her. Celine then followed up with a series of furious swipes aimed at Ephiny. One after another Ephiny blocked and repelled the strikes. This continued for a few moments until Celine came down with such a strong swing that Ephiny couldn't simply deflect it. Instead, she kept up her guard as she attempted to find a way to maneuver her sword in a manner that wouldn't result in getting sliced open. With Ephiny locked up with Celine as the two struggled to maintain power, Velasca spotted her opening and took the opportunity to cut down Ephiny. With nothing standing in her way, Velasca moved in fast and drove her blade straight towards Ephiny. Spotting Velasca out of the corner of her eye at the last second, Ephiny moved as Velasca mistakenly plunged her weapon into her own daughter's chest. Both Velasca and Celine's eyes went wide as they each realized what had just happened. The fighting between the group ceased as Celine gasped and Velasca grabbed her as she fell.

VELASCA
Celine...

CELINE
Mo-ther.

Celine's body went completely limp in Velasca's arms as her eyes closed and her resurrected soul was gone once more. Meanwhile, Ephiny lowered her sword and stood there silently as despite everything the two had done and the severe dislike that she had for Velasca, she couldn't help but feel for her at that moment. Even if they were both technically already dead, Ephiny was certain that to Velasca it still felt as though she had taken her own child's life. And that was something that Ephiny couldn't even imagine what it must've felt like. After a moment Velasca layed Celine down on the ground before turning towards Ephiny. Ephiny saw the look of pure hatred in Velasca's eyes.