Simple touch

Hermione walked into the potions class just minutes before the lesson was about to start. She took her usual seat at the front of the classroom and pulled out her textbook.

The door in the front of the class swung open and Snape walked in with his black cape billowing behind him. "Today you are going to study the process of making Black Fire potion. Now, who can tell me what the effects of this potion are?"

Hermione quickly raised her hand but she drew back down when a sharp pain went down her arm to her fingertips. This action did not go unnoticed by Snape, but he continued.

"No one? How disappointing." he walked the aisles staring down the still nervous seventh years. "The black fire potion is a potion that makes the drinker able to move through black fire uninjured. now who can tell me a possible side effect of this potion?"

Hermione didn't even bother to raise her hand this time. She was still rubbing her arm from the pain before.

"Well since none of you know any of the answers, I expect an Eighteen inch essay on my desk by next class. I suggest you get to work."

The was a big groan coming from everyone in the class as they pulled out their parchment and quills. Hermione followed everyone else and pulled out her quill and black ink.

Snape went and sat at his desk and began writing on a long piece of parchment. He would look up occasionally if he began to hear talking. If it was from anyone other than malfoy, he would make a rude remark then remind everyone to return to their essays.

As Hermione was reading her textbook, she got confused as to the amount of each ingredient. She raised her hand without thinking and Snape got up and came to stand behind her.

"This better be important miss granger."

"Well sir, right here it says that you put in half a cup of salamander blood after you've stirred it twice counter clockwise, but I do recall you once saying that it was three fourths of a cup after one clockwise stir."

Snape leaned over her looking at her book to where her finger was pointed. He had rested his hand on the desk closely to the book.

"Hermione what are you doing?" She thought as she inched her hand closer to his. "Stop it right now." No matter how much her mind told her not to, she couldn't control it. Her pinky made contact with his pointer finger and she heard him take a sharp inhale and look down. He didn't move. He just stood there for a moment looking at their hands.

"That is a very big mistake. Now I will surely have to write the editor of this blasted book again and and explain to him to to make a proper potion." He moved his hand away and returned to his desk pulling out another piece of parchment. He began to write quickly and Hermione returned to her book. She didn't know it, but there was a slight smile etched across her face as she continued to write.