Future?

Hermione sat at the foot of Severus' hospital bed lacing up her tennis shoes. Harry had brought by some of the clothes she had left at Hogwarts. They didn't exactly match, but she was only going back to Severus' house for the night before returning to school.

Severus stepped out of the bathroom wearing a simple black button down shirt tucked into his black slacks. He still struggled to walk so he was given a cane to assist until he had all his strength back.

Hermione chuckled a little and Severus caught this quickly. "What's so funny?"

"Oh nothing, just..." She laughed a again and turned to look at him. "You're looking so old!"

He scowled at her and limped over to the table that his wand sat on and slowly slipped it into his pocket. "Shall we go?"

"Yes dear, I just have to sign a few more papers" she stood up slowly. She was almost completely healed, but she was still very sore and she still had a large gash spreading across her lower back. She moved her hand to it and let out a short sigh.

"Now who's looking old?" Severus chuckled. He moved to her and let her loop her arm around his as they exited the room.

Outside were many people bustling around. It was distracting, but Severus pulled Hermione over to the counter where a young mediwitch was scratching away with her quill. Severus cleared his throat but she did not look up. She only picked up a small piece on parchment and handed it to Hermione. She gracefully signed her name and returned the parchment. They walked down the hallway and out onto the streets on London. It was very cold and Hermione pulled her green jacket tighter.

"I know I'm not supposed to do this but..." Severus stopped and looked at a confused Hermione before they were suddenly jerking through the air. Hermione gasped in pain because of the sudden jolt. She soon felt her feet hit the ground and she was in Severus' sitting room.

She quickly sat down on the couch and put her hands to her temples and rubbed softly.

"God Severus. Next time give me a warning."

"If I had, you would have stopped me."

"Yes I would have."

He plopped down next to her and she leaned into him laying her head and hand on his chest. They both took a deep breath in and sunk deeper into each other.

The room was quiet, and there was a light snow falling outside. If certain events hadn't occurred, Hermione could have turned this place into a marvelous winter wonderland.

"Hermione?" Severus asked quietly.

"Hmm?"

"Where do you see this going?" She could feel him turn his head to look down at her and she moved her head to meet his gaze.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, do you..." He paused and shook his head before continuing. "Can you see a future with me?"

A wide smile broke across Hermione's face. She pushed herself up and kissed him gently. "Yes love, I do."

He smiled back. "Good"

"Now since we're on the subject... And please don't freak out!"

He laughed at this and kept eye contact with her. His brow had furrowed a little as she took in a deep breath.

"Do you want children?"

Severus froze slightly at this. "I said don't freak out! I'm just saying that when I imagine us having a future together, later on I don't want it to be just us."

"Hermione, I'm quite a bit older than you, and don't say anything. I love you, and I want to make you happy, but how embarrassing would it be for a child to be starting school at 11 and their father being in possibly his 60's. I don't want to do that."

Hermione pulled her gaze away from him and looked down at the floor. She had never thought anything of his age. Like everyone said, age was just a number. She hoped that this conversation would have gone another way because she couldn't imagine going her whole life without having kids.

Hermione pushed herself off the couch and walked towards the kitchen. "Hermione don't walk away!"

He tried to get up, but it was hard. He kept trying to pushed himself up while leaning on his cane for support, but he'd just fall right beck down again.

Hermione walked into the kitchen and grabbed a glass out of the cupboard. She filled it up at the sink and stared out the window into the back yard. She questioned how she and Severus could be so perfect for each other, and love each other so much, but not want the same thing.

She took a drink of her water and let out a long sigh. She set the cup on the counter and moved back into the living room where Severus had his fingers pressed against his temples. When he heard her, he looked up and began to speak rapidly.

"Hermione just because I can't see us having kids right now, doesn't mean that we can't discuss it later-"

"Severus please, this is our last night together and I don't want to spoil it. Can we forget that I ever brought it up?"

This didn't seem to change his mind, but he gave a quick nod and she returned to sit next to him. The room now felt very awkward and they just say in silence.