Invitation and Concern

Hermione ran back to the potions classroom quickly shutting the door behind her and locking it. She placed a silencing charm over the door and stared at Severus who looked confused.

"Hermione? Where Miss Weasley?"

"Not talking to me at the moment, but this can't wait."

"Hermione, you heard Professor McGonagall, we can't be alone together." He crossed the room and pulled out his wand to remove the charm but Hermione grabbed it quickly.

"Severus, Draco knows."

His eyes went wide and his far went even paler than normal.  "How?"

"He must have followed us that night in the forest, but that's not the only thing. He asked me if you were scared about his father breaking out. He said that they'd come after you because you weren't thrown in azkaban." A tear ran down the left side of her face as she looked up at him. "I'm scared Severus." He watched her closely as she stood seeming completely alone.

She stood there looking around knowing the rules but just wanting him to hold her. She just wanted to wrap her arms around his waist and lay her face on his chest for one minute. To listen to his heartbeat and his breathing. Just for one minute.

He reached his hand out and took hers. Letting her warmth spread through him. "Hermione?" He took a deep breath. "Were you planning on going home for the holidays?"

"I uh... Haven't decided yet."

He took another deep breath and looked into her eyes. "Would you like to spend them with me?"

Hermione looked up. "At Hogwarts?"

"No Hermione, would you come home with me?"

"But McGonagall said-"

"Professor McGonagall said she couldn't allow it to go on in the school." He gave her a smile "and this way, I can't keep us both safe since our aurors were taken away."

Hermione smiled and went in to hug him. He welcomed it as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders and buried his nose in her hair. "I love you Hermione. I don't want you to be scared."

She wrapped her arms tighter around him. He smelled like black coffee and old potions ingredients. "Yes Severus. I'd love to join you for the holidays!"

Hermione felt his chest expand as he let out a worried tone. "Now what exactly did Draco say?"

Hermione pulled back and looked him in his black eyes. "Well he told me that our night in the forest looked like an eventful one, and he asked if you were scared. He talked about how his father might come after you because you were the only deatheater not thrown into azkaban." She put his hands on her waist and she continued to look up at him trying to figure out what was going through his head. "That was all."

He gave a forced smile and brushed his thumb along her hip before saying anything. "Right now I can't worry about that. I have a lot of work to get done and you have a class to get to."

"Severus?" He pulled away and took his wand to remove the enchantments on the door.

"You'd better start getting packed, we will leave first thing Friday morning." He gave her a small kiss on the cheek and returned to his desk.

Hermione walked out slowly taking in his quick goodbye. It concerned her that he wasn't more worried but she was also too happy about spending the holidays alone with Severus away from school.

*************************************

Happy birthday Hermione!