I love you

Hermione laid quietly in her empty hospital room. She was covered in large bandages and she was attached to a muggle IV tube.

The silence was broken when a young mediwitch came in to check on her. "I guess the muggles knew what they were doing with something." She said changing out the bag "this is the best way to keep your fluids and nutrition up until you're ready to leave."

"How is Severus?"

"Professor Snape?" She reached over Hermione so see her hand where the IV went in and continued to talk. "He's pretty beaten up. He hasn't been awake for more than 5 minutes at a time, but he's...." She paused for a moment as if trying to find the right words. " he's getting better. Just needs plenty of potions and rest. It's funny because most of our potions are supplied by him." She laughed and readjusted the blankets on her legs and began to leave when Hermione spoke up.

"Can I go and see him?"

"I don't think he'll be awake dear."

"That's alright. I just need to see him."

She sighed and held up a finger mean one moment. She came back shorty with a wheelchair and helped her out of bed.

When her feet made contact with the floor, she shook a little. She was dizzy and tried to make it into the chair as fast as she could. She sort of fell into it and she gave a small sigh of pain as she shifted around.

She was slowly wheeled out of the room and into a large hallway. People were running around with their arms full of potions and others were bent over small pieces of parchment.

They went around the nearest corner and into a dark room where she immediately saw Severus laying on his back in deep sleep.

Even though he was asleep, he seemed to be in pain. She was brought up to his side and the locks were placed on the wheels and the mediwitch immediately left shutting the door behind her.

Hermione reached up and moved a few strands of black hair out of his eyes. "I know you probably can't hear me, but...." She looked down as a few tears began to form in her eyes. "I'm sorry Severus. I'm sorry I got you into trouble. I know you wouldn't have gone home if I hadn't come with you." She moved her hand to his and squeezed it slightly. "You would have been safe at Hogwarts if I had just stayed away."

As she said this, he turned his head slightly towards her, and his eyes had opened just the slightest bit. "Don't... You... Ever.... Apolo..gize" he breathed out quickly. He struggled, but he was able to move his hand to her face and stroke her cheek. "I... Love you" this made her smile and she moved her face into his hand more.

"And I love you" she said softly.

She struggled, but she was able to pull herself up and onto his bed by gripping his sheets. She laid down to the side of him and reached her arm over his chest. She heard a small grunt but he didn't flinch.

He brought his arm around her neck and rested his hand on her shoulder. She listened to his heartbeat. It was faint and it was struggling but she wouldn't let Severus get away that easily. She took in a deep breath hoping that he would still smell like black coffee and stale potions ingredients but he didn't. He smelled like the damp dungeon and blood.

His wounds were showing very small signs of healing and she traced some of them lightly with her fingers. He flinched slightly but slowly began to snore.

Hermione scooted in as close as she could and closed her eyes. She hadn't slept since she was brought tot the hospital, but now she was with Severus so she felt safe. She brought in a deep breath and let her body relax. His snoring helped bring her closer to sleep until she heard the door open.

She was too tired to open her eyes but she could hear long robes whooshing around as their owner turned. When they whispered, Hermione immediately recognized McGonagall's and Harry's voices.

"And you didn't know about this?"

"No. 'Mione didn't tell me anything."

"I know he cares about her. He has had a lot of explaining to do, and I've never heard someone talk about another person that they love like he does her. I assume she feels the same, or else she wouldn't have come in here."

"Ron is all broken up. It freaked him out, and honestly no one is taking this well."

"They had to expect some backlash if they wanted this to last. But knowing them, they'll make it work."

"I just don't understand how this happened. We shouldn't have taken away their aurors."

"Don't blame yourself Harry. You thought you had found Lucius, nott, and thornfinn near London. You needed every possible auror."

"Thought is the keyword." He sighed and walked closer to Hermione. "I should have protected her."

Hermione perked up slightly at this. She couldn't open her eyes but she managed to get out "you know I can hear you right?"

McGonagall laughed slightly at this before saying "I'm sorry dear, we'll leave you alone. Rest well"

She heard the door open and close and she allowed herself to fully fall asleep in Severus' arms.