Apologies

Hermione crashed in the front door looking frantically around for Severus. She ran around the quiet house panting heavily as she stumbled into walls and over furniture.

"Severus?!"

She looked all around the dark house but couldn't find him anywhere. She sat defeated on the couch and buried her face in her hands. The house was quiet so her gentle sobs echoed on the walls. She wondered how she had gotten herself into this mess and slightly wish she could go back to the time before she loved Severus.

"Don't think that Hermione" she whispered to herself. "This will all work out, Severus won't let anything happen to you."

Hermione was startled when she heard creaking coming from the upstairs. She stood quickly and her wand was raised at the ceiling.

She cautiously moved towards the staircase and made her way up slowly looking all around her as she stepped.

She paused for a moment realizing that she had checked upstairs already, and when she had, there was no one there. She took a backwards step as she heard the door to the attic creak open slowly.

Before she could see who was behind the door, she broke into a run. She tried to jump the last few steps but fell and she heard her ankle crack as she hit the floor.

"AAHH!" She yelped in pain and immediately put her hand to her right ankle that throbbed in pain.

"Hermione?!"

She looked up and Severus was leaning over the banister staring down at her.

"Good god woman, what on earth are you doing?!" He rushed down to her and got on his knees to be at eye level with her. "Why were you running?"

"Severus." She looked at him with a panicked expression on her face. His eyes turned from confusion to worry as he put one hand around her waist and the other under her knees.

He lifted her with some strain but managed to get her over to the couch where she broke into more sobs.

"Hermione? What's the matter?"

"It's.... Lucius. He was here. Well not here here but.... Outside. He told me that... Oh god Severus!" She clenched his coat and pushed her face into his chest.

"What do you mean Lucius? Hermione where is he?!"

"He was outside. About two blocks north. He told me that they weren't taking your betrayal lightly, and they aren't taking out relationship lightly."
She caught her breath an peered up at him. His black eyes pierced her brown ones and she drew in a deep breath. "He also said that they were coming, And this time, we wouldn't win."

"Darling you don't have to worry." He leaned down and placed a long kiss on her forehead and pulled her closer. "Lucius is full of false... Shall we say promises? And if he even tried to get near you, he would have to go through me first."

She gave a forced chuckle and put her head against his chest again. "Darling?" She asked painfully.

"Hmm?"

"My ankle really hurts."

He laughed and looked down. She had managed to slide off her boot, and he slowly and carefully removed her sock. Her ankle was swelling quickly and turning slightly purple. "Ah yes, let me go get one of my potions and we'll have you back on your feet in no time."

"Are you trying to be funny?"

"Am I succeeding?"

"Not at all"

He left her on the couch and went to the kitchen where she heard bottles shuffling around. He returned quickly with a small vial and he uncorked it. He handed it to her and she drank it quickly. She shut her eyes in pain and he watched as the swelling went down quickly.

"I know it hurts love, but isn't this better than the alternative?"

She didn't answer but she clamped her hand tightly around his. After a few seconds she let out a deep sigh of relief and looked up at him. "Thank you."

"Of course."

"And I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For earlier. I shouldn't have reacted the way that I did. I know that you couldn't have done anything for me or else you could have been killed. That wouldn't be good for either of us. So I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for. I should have done more. I say let's leave this all behind us. What do you say?"

"I agree."

He pulled her into a hug and they stayed there for a couple minutes just holding each other. As they were sitting quietly, they heard loud creaking upstairs that caused Hermione to jump.

"Don't worry darling, it's an old house. It does that. Let's go to bed."