The Basement

Hermione sat quietly in the comfort of Sevrus' sitting room. It was dark and peaceful and she sat only in the company of the countless books that lined the walls.

She took a deep breath in. Nothing could ever compare to the smell of an old book. All the information and history that they bring gives her comfort. She smiled as she thumbed through a small leather book titled: "ancient runes for the experts".

She had been reading so focused that he hadn't noticed Severus walk in, pick a book of the far shelf and sit down in the arm chair beside her.

They sat quietly for so long that Hermione had lost track of the time. The minutest Ticked by quickly and Hermione let out a big gasp when she noticed the clock.

"What is it dear?" Severus asked pulling his gaze away from his potions book.

"Do you realize how long I've been in here?!"

"Yes love. It's been almost four hours."

"Yes Severus! Four hours! Do you know how much I could have accomplished in four hours?!"

"I honestly don't see what all your fuss is about. You are on holiday. You do remember that right?"

"Well I know that you're not going to clean this house."

"And neither will you. I like things the way they are."

"Dusty and old?"

"Precisely."

He turned back to his book while she huffed in frustration. She stood and returned her book to its proper place and exited. She went exploring around the dark house. Peeking into bedrooms and down hallways. There was something off about this place. She felt like she was being watched.

Her curiosity got the better of her when she opened the door that led to the basement. She pulled her wand from her back pocket and quietly whispered "lumos" causing the end to illuminate brightly. She made her way down the staircase stepping carefully as to not make much noise.

When she reached the bottom she was shocked. Countless piles of parchment scattered the floor along with rotting wood and rusting chains. There were scratches on the walls that looked To be from fingernails.

She fell to her knees overwhelmed when she heard footsteps around her. "I was going to clean this up and redo it before you could see it." Severus was standing at the foot of the stairs watching her with concern.

"What is this? I feel as if I've been here before."

"You were."

Hermione turned around shocked. Bellatrix brought you here at one point. You were awake most of the time but enough to...." His eyes wandered to the scratches on the wall. "I thought you had gone crazy."

Hermione shuddered. She looked around nervously and then stood and  began beating Severus on the chest. "YOU FOUL, HORRIBLE, MONSTER!"

He grabbed her fists quickly and pulled her into his chest. "I didn't want you to find out, but I do need to be completely honest with you."

She cried noisily as she tried to push away but he kept his arms wound around her back. "Please Hermione, believe me when I tell you I tried to stop it, but there was only so much I could do before it became suspicious." He kissed the top of her head gently. "This is not who I am. This is not who I was."

"Just let me go." She said through a forced breath. He released her slowly and she wiped the tears from her face. "You let horrible things happen to me." Her memories of the night in the basement came back one by one. She was in so much pain, clinging to wall for support. She was alone. No one was there to fight for her.

"I need to get away for a minute."

"Hermione-"

"No Severus. I need to go on a walk. Just clear my head a little. We'll talk later, but for now, just leave me alone."