Someone Outside

Hermiones eyes fluttered open and she was still laying in the large bed, but she was alone. She looked around the room but couldn't find Severus anywhere. She tried to sit up but the room was very cold and she retracted back under the covers. She looked around for her wand a lot a fire in the small fireplace to the side of the bed.

Once the room had warmed up a little, she stepped out of the bed reached for Severus white shirt and put it on. She went to the door and walked out looking around. "Severus?" There was no answer.

She slowly walked down the stairs looking at everything on her way down. There wasn't much in the house. Mainly books and dust. She reached the bottom of the stairs and chose to go down a long hallway. She could smell something amazing and she heard the clanking of pans as she made her way to the doorway of the kitchen.

She paused and leaned up against the doorframe. Severus was standing at a stove with his back to her. He wore black sweatpants and a long sleeved green shirt.

"Good morning" Hermione said causing him to jump a little.

He turned around as she chuckled and he glared at her. "You should say good afternoon. It's nearly one."

"What?! I couldn't have slept for that long!"

"You did. It was good though, I was able to get some grading done without your constant nagging."

Hermione walked over to him and moved her hands around his waist. "You love my nagging Severus. Admit it."

"Never" he turned again to the stove where he was cooking pasta.

"It smells amazing love. I didn't know you could cook."

"Hermione, I specialize in potions. Of course I can cook." She giggled and walked to the other counter where there was a pot of fresh coffee sitting. She opened a random cupboard and found two mugs and pulled them down.  "How do you like your coffee?"

"Black"

She laughed at this so hard that it made him turn around angrily. "What's so funny?"

"Honestly Severus? You only wear black, black hair, black eyes, and black coffee. You couldn't be more cliché if you tried."

"I just don't like things that are sweet."

She gave a little pouty lip and sighed leaning jumping up and sitting on the counter. "So you don't like me?"

"I'd hardly call you sweet my dear. You are a sassy little-"

"Choose your words very carefully professor." He laughed and turned again to the stove.

She smiled as she watched him. She took a sip of coffee after she had added plenty of cream and sugar to it. She could watch him all day. The way that he moved just mesmerized her. He was so perfect (to her at least), but that was all that mattered.

Her attention was pulled to something out of the corner of her eye. She looked out the kitchen window to a small backyard with a forest at the edge. She thought she saw a long dark cloak move among the tree line, but she couldn't be sure. She squinted at the area and didn't even blink. "Severus?" She asked not pulling her eyes away from the spot she had planted them.

"Hm?" He didn't turn around.

"What's beyond the trees?"

"I really don't know. Haven't done much exploring so it could be anything. I know it goes on for a couple miles, but that's about it." Her lack of response to this concerned him. He turned around and saw her face staring out the window. Her brow was furrowed and she was showing much concentration. "Hermione? What's wrong?"

"I think there's somebody out there..."

"Don't be silly Hermione, nobody ever comes around this place."

She took her eyes away from the window and looked at him in the face. "I know you don't believe me, but I saw someone. Just keep an eye out alright? I'm going to go shower." She jumped off the counter and pulled the sleeves of his shirt over her hands to keep them warm. She left the kitchen without another word and headed back upstairs. Though her body was gone, her thoughts remained staring out the small kitchen window.