Chapter 5

"Disoriented. I guess that comes close. " Rick explained over the campfire.

"Disoriented." Rick continue to tell them what he felt when he woke up in the hospital. 

"Words can be meager things. " said Dale, setting down his tin. "Sometimes they fall short. "

"I've felt like I've been ripped out of my life and put somewhere else. " started Rick. "For a while, I thought I was trapped in some coma dream. "

You and me both, buddy. Sawyer thought as he listened to Rick. His wife and son pressed up against him.

"Something I thought I might not wake up from ever. "

"Mom said you died. " Carl told his father, looking up at him.

"She had every reason to believe that. Don't you ever doubt it. " Rick told his son.

Sawyer noticed the exchange glances from Lori and Shane but not before everyone's attention turned to the Peletier family when Ed threw a log into their fire.

"Hey, Ed. You might want to rethink that log. " called out Shane.

"It's cold, man. " replied Ed, clearly not giving a fuck about the rules.

Why does Ed have to be a dick? Thought Sawyer, though, kept his mouth shut.

"Cold doesn't change the rules, doesn't it? " Shane replied, sounding annoyed.

Sawyer watched as Shane got up and walked over Ed and said something that made Ed tell his wife Carol to pull out their fire before Shane came back to the group.

"Have ya'll thought about Daryl Dixon? " Dale said.

Sawyer was so caught up getting back to Amy that he had completely forgotten about Merle being left on top of the rooftop. Of course, he still hasn't forgave T-dog for dropping the key down the drain.

"Or about the fact if he finds out that we left Merle on the roof top, I'm dead meat. " Sawyer added to Dale's sentence.

"I'll tell him. I dropped the key. That's on me. " said T-Dog.

"I've cuffed him. So it makes it mine

"Guys, it's not a competition. But I don't mean to bring race into this, but it might sound better coming from a white guy. " Glenn claimed.

"I think it might be better if it comes from his brother. " said Dale.

Sawyer knew that Dale meant him, especially when everyone's eyes fell on him.

"Oh come on, why me? " Sawyer replied.

"We could lie. " Amy suggest. Thank you, Amy.

"Or tell the truth. Merele was out of control. Something had to be done, or he would have gotten us killed. " stated Andrea and looked at Lori.

"Your husband did what was necessary, and if Merle got left behind, it's nobody's fault, but Merle's. " continued Andrea.

Sawyer sure hoped that she was right. But he knew that once Daryl finds out, he always somehow finds him to blame for their problems.

" And that's what we tell Daryl? " Dale asked.  " I don't see a rational discussion on that. Do you kid? "

"All I know is that Daryl will somehow find me to blame. " Sawyer told Dale.

" I won't let that happen. " promised Rick, causing Sawyer to nod his head.

"Word to wise. We're going to have our hands full when he gets back from his hunt. " continued Dale.

" I was scared. I ran. " explained T-dog. " I'm not ashamed of it. "

"We were all scared. " said Andrea.

"I wasn't. " lied, Sawyer. Only to receive looked from those who were with him. " Okay, I was a lot scared. But what's your point? "

"I've stopped long enough to chain that door. " T-dog explained as he explained how he chained it.

" My point is your brother's still alive. Handcuffed up there on that roof...

That's on us. "