Chapter 9

"Amy! Amy! " Sawyer called out as soon as the group made it back to camp. But once they got there, they were under attack by walkers.

Before he was able to locate her, he helped the others kill some of the walkers.As he searched the camp, to his horror, Andrea was holding Amy who was bleeding out and what appeared to be bitten.

He quickly ran over to Andrea, only for a walker to get in his way. However, he managed to kill it with a few blows to its head using his hammer.

After the camp managed to protect itself from the attack,Sawyer found himself kneeling next to Andrea as they gazed down at the dying Amy. Tears threatened his eyes.

"Y-You m-made it. " croaked Amy softly with a small smile.

Sawyer could only smile softly back and nodded. " Yeah, I made it. Like I promised. " he told her.

It wasn't until Amy weakly reached for something in her pocket and slowly handed it to Sawyer when he realized she was giving him her lucky coin.

He couldn't stop the tears from flowing as he tried to shake his head no as if saying he couldn't take it from her.

"She wants you to have it. " Andrea said with tears.

"I won't lose it." Sawyer promised Amy putting the gold coins in his pocket. Once he looked back down at her, she was trying to tell him something, so he leaned down to listen.

"What did she say? " Andrea asked.

"She asked me to look after you. " Sawyer answered as he wiped some of his tears.

For the rest of the night, he and Andrea stayed beside Amy. Sawyer didn't even leave Andrea's side, not even when the sun came up.

"I'd like to be alone now. '' Andrea told him with a sniffle. He just nodded slowly and got up before taking one more look at Amy and walked away.

He made his way past the group numbly. He wanted to be alone. He didn't even answer any of them when they asked if he was okay. Mostly because their voices were blurry. He even shook Lori off when she tried to comfort him.

Wanting to be left alone, Sawyer trudged his way a little to the trees and sat down. Even the sound of his aching heart didn't block out the single gunfire that echoed in camp.

He knew what he meant, that Amy was now dead. The boy balled his fist and held it up to his mouth to try and stop the tears from flowing, but even then, it didn't help.

….

After a few moments had passed, Sawyer got up off the forest floor and walked to where Jim had apparently dug holes from last night and began working on digging a grave for Amy.

It wasn't until noon high when everyone else showed up with others to bury. Andrea was struggling to carry Amy's body that was wrapped around in bed sheets, so he dropped his shovel down and went over to help her.

"Thanks. " she said in between breaths as Sawyer helped her out of the hole.

After the funeral, everyone went back to camp , and Sawyer learned Jim was bitten. He gathered around the campfire with the rest of the group while Rick,Shane, Dale, and Daryl checked the surrounding area in case any geeks were still in the area.

Sawyer had covered a sleeping Andrea with a blue blanket before he noticed the others had come back.

"I've been thinking about Rick's plan. There would be no guarantees. Either way, I'll be the first one to admit that. " started Shane. " I have known this man my whole life.  I trust his instincts. But I think the most important thing is that we stay together, " he added.

"So those of you that agree. We leave first thing in the morning. " said Shane.

A few moments later, everyone gathered around Dale's RV. " Alright. Everyone listened up, those with the CBs. We're going to be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down.Now you have a problem, don't have a C.B. Can't get a signal at all. You're going to hit your horn one time, " he explained. " That will stop the caravan. Do you have any questions? "

Morale soon stepped up and told the group he and his family won't be coming with them and that they wanted to be with their family in Birmingham.

He watched as Lori and Jacqui all shared their tearful goodbyes to Morales and his family. He walked over to Morales' children, wanting to say goodbye to them as he had grown fond of the children much like he did with Sophia and Carl.

"Hey, you two gotta listen to your pops and mom, okay? " he told them quietly as they nodded their heads.

He pulled them in for a hug, but not shortly after, he gave Miranda a hug and fist pumped Morales. " Sorry about Amy. She was a good kid." Morales said.

Sawyer just nodded as he watched the Morales' family leave, knowing that it would be the last time he would see them.

"Come on! Let's go! Let's move out! " called Shane.

"You riding with me or the Rv? " Daryl asked.

"I'll ride with Glenn and Dale. " Sawyer answered his brother. " Help Jacqui keep an eye on Jim."