Chapter 18

By the next morning, everyone had gone off to do their own things. Both he and Daryl had spent all night watching over Carol, who was grief-stricken. But Sawyer wouldn't blame the woman.

Sawyer went inside the house to grab the three of them something to eat. But he was  well aware that he wouldn't be able to eat on a sick stomach. But nevertheless, he knew they had to eat something. When he walked into the kitchen, Beth was washing some dishes. She hadn't said one word to anyone since last night.

He only gave her a small tiny smile as he helped himself to whatever leftovers they had. When he grabbed a plate, he turned around only to see Beth fainting.

“Shit! Maggie!” Sawyer yelled out to the living room as he quickly scooped the young girl up.

Both Maggie and Glenn had rushed into the kitchen. Maggie led them upstairs to Beth's room while Glenn helped Sawyer carry her upstairs.

Sawyer had stayed with Beth while Shane, Rick, Glenn, Maggie, and Lori checked for clues in Hershel's room. It wasn't long until Rick and Glenn decided to go to a bar in town to get him back.

The boy decided to see if he could help and went outside after Maggie sat with her younger sister. “You sure you guys don't want a third wheel?” Sawyer called out.

“I think two of us will be enough. You and Daryl are in charge. Make sure no one else goes missing.” said Rick. Sawyer somewhat felt a small pride rise in his chest when Rick had put him and his brother in charge. Knowing he wouldn't want to mess this opportunity up.

He only nodded at Rick and helped them with the gate, putting it back and walking back to the house.

“Is my dad leaving?” Carl asked as he met him halfway. Sawyer knew Carl had always been worried about his father. Sawyer only wished he could feel the same way about his dad when he was still alive.

“He'll be back. Don't you worry.”Sawyer promised the boy as they made their way inside.

……………
By dinner time, Rick and Glenn weren't back with Hershel, causing some of the group to be worried. Sawyer sat down next to Carl as Andrea and Shane soon joined them.

“They should be back by now.”claimed Andrea.

“Yeah, they just got held up somewhere.’said Shane. “We'll head out first thing in the morning.” he added as food was begining to be passed around.

“Carl. I want you to keep your head up,okay. Your old man– he's one tough son of–” started Shane, but Patricia interrupted him.

“No cussing in the house.”  she demanded.

Sawyer couldn't help but stop a chuckle as he took a sip of his glass of milk. Only to get side-eyed from Shane. “Sorry. “ Shane apologized yo Patricia. 

It wasn't until when Carol called out for Lori that they realized Lori was also missing. “Carl, when was the last time you saw your mum?” Shane asked the kid.

“This afternoon” Carl answered the man.

“She was worried about Rick.” Andrea claimed. “She asked me to look in on Carl.” Shd added.

“She didn't go after them? “ Sawyer asked, worried as he and Shane got up from the table.

“I'll check with Daryl.” Sawyer told Shane as he quickly raced outside to where Daryl had set up their small little camp, just a little further away from the house.

“We can't find Lori, and the others aren't back yet either.” Sawyer told his older brother, a coat of worry filled his voice.

“Yeah.” replied Daryl, his voice sounded a bit cold. “That dumb bitch must have gone looking for them,” he added.

“What?” Sawyer asked, confused.

“She asked me to go. I told her I was done being an errand boy.” Daryl stated.

All Sawyer could do was shake his head in disappointment as he went to walk away but paused and walked back to Daryl. “Don't do this. Please.” He begged his brother. He already felt so alone in the world, he didn't want Daryl to shut down.

“We've already lost Merle. I can't loose you either.”

“Yeah well, whose fault was that? “ Daryl question.

“It wasn't mine! How many times do I have to tell you? I was with Rick and Glenn trying to get the others out!” shouted Sawyer.

“But yet you still left Merle behind!? Whatever happened to no brother gets left behind? “ Daryl shouted angrily.

“But yet you didn't leave me behind with the Vatos. But you could have? Didn't you?” Sawyer yelled back.

“Would have to if it weren't for Rick.” mumbled Daryl, not even giving a damn.

“You can be a real dick sometimes you know! “ Sawyer yelled at him before storming off.

“To hell with him. I don't need him. “ he mumbled to himself.

The boy meets up with the others outside the house. Everybody looked everywhere but nobody could find her.

“She asked Daryl to go into town. Must've gone by herself.” Sawyer called out to him. Carl didn't like what he heard and it caused him to quickly go into the house.

“Carl!” Sawyer called out to him, racing after the boy. Following the boy, he joined him on the couch.

“Shane's gonna get your mum back, and Rick will be back with Glenn and Hershel.'' Sawyer reassured the boy. Carl only nodded solemnly at him.
……………

『Daryl's POV』

Daryl kept his distance from everyone else,staying in his own camp. He always felt like the odd man out, especially when Sawyer seemed to be thriving with the group.

“Little traitor.” mumbled Daryl as he went for a short walk in the woods after he and Sawyer got into an argument about Lori going looking for her husband.

“So what if I'm done being some errand boy? I don't need them. Don't need some stupid annoying lil’ bro getting in my way either!” he yelled out to no one.

I liked it better when it was just Merle and I.” Daryl thought bitterly,making his way back to his camp.

When he got back, he noticed Carol checking out his hides. “What are you doing?” Daryl asked the woman angrily.

“God.Keeping an eye on you. “ she answered, causing the man to flare his nostrils at her.

“Did Sawy ask you to?” He questioned.

“No.” She replied, a bit spooked by his rudeness.

“Ain't you a peach.”

“I'm not gonna let you pull away. For Sawyer's sale.”claimed the woman. “You've earned your place.”

“If you hadn't spent half your time minding your daughter's business instead of sticking your nose in everybody else's, she would still be alive! “ yelled, Daryl.

The truth was, he wasn't angry at the world or Sawyer. He was more angry that all his efforts in searching for Carol's daughter was for nothing. He felt like he had been chasing a ghost for the last two weeks.

But his yelling didn't seem to phase Carol. Something that annoyed the hell outta him. "Go ahead.” She said.

The man continued to yell at her, getting up into her face as she just stared at him. Daryl knew he must have scared her. But at the moment, all he needed was to rant. Maybe Carol was just there to let him do that?

“Sophia wasn't mine! All you had to do was keep an eye on her!” He yelled at her. There was a moment of silence besides the fire crackling as they just stared at each other

He didn't care for the tears he saw that trickled down her face. He said what had to be said.