Chapter 27

Sawyer didn't wake up before noon the next day, though he normally gets up before anyone else does. He glanced over at the clsssic old alarm clock they had, wondering why the alarm didn't even go off before he glanced over at Cora, who was just coming in.

"You didn't wake me up?" Sawyer questioned as he slowly sat up.

"Thought you needed the extra sleep." claims Cora."Especially after what happened." He knew he probably did, but he didn't really want it.

The man quickly got up and changed to go help with whatever needed to be done. Though as soon as he put on his boots per normal, they heard the sounds of gunshots and mad panic in Cell A.

"Stay here!" Sawyer ordered as he grabbed his gun and hammer before running out and closing the cell block.

He rushed into Cell Block A with the others only to find that it had been breached. He quickly picked up Luke, a shy, quiet kid as a walker was about to make him his meal. After putting Luke in the cell with Karen, he helped the others clear the walkers.

He went up with Rick and Daryl to check the higher decks, only for a walker to come at him.

"Get down!" Yelled Daryl as the walker was able to pin him on the wall. Sawyer managed to slide down in time as Daryl shot the walker, killing it.

"Thanks." Sawyer told his older brother as he helped up as they looked down to see who it was.

"Man, it's Patrick. " claimed Daryl.

"That's all of 'em. '' stated Glenn as they did another sweep in the cell block.

..........

The council had held a meeting in the library, discussing what to do with the infected and non-infected.

"Patrick was feeling alright yesterday then died overnight?" "claimed Carol. "Someone can die that quick?"

Sawyer listened to everybody as they discussed what to do. "We will have to separate those who are sick." Claimed Sawyer.

"That could be the whole cell block and anyone else that was in it during the time. Even us." stated Daryl.

Everyone in the room, expressing their concerns. But in the end, it was Hershel who decided what to do and hardly anyone ever judged his decisions. Considering he's one of the wisest on the council.

Suddenly, they heard a cough coming from outside the library, and everyone quickly rushed out to see who it was. Only for it to be Tyreese leading Karen down the hall.

"I'm just gonna take her back to my cell. " claimed Tyresse. But Hershel claimed it wasn't a good idea.

"Charlie and Judith are in that cell block. They're vulnerable." explained Hershel, and it wasn't long until Tyresse led her to the tombs.

Later on, Sawyer decided to check on Charlie and Cora. Becoming worried with the flu going around. As he became closer to the cell, he could hear some coughing. He ran over only to see Cora coughing on the bed. He took a step inside, but Cora had stopped him.

"Don't. I got it. I'm fine. " she claimed, but Sawyer knew she wasn't.

"Go with Karen to the tombs. I'll have Beth take care of-"

"I've already planned it. Beth said she would take care of Charlie." started Cora as she made her way down to the tombs.

"I'll check on you later." He called out to her, a ray of worriness erupted in his chest.

Later on, he joined the others in burying those who had passed from the attack. Sawyer was nearly done digging his grave when he looked over at the prison. He couldn't help but feel a funny feeling in his chest like something was about to go completely wrong.

................

Daryl's POV

After a close call breach of the fence, everyone else went to do their part in preparing for quarantine. Of course, Daryl wasn't planning on going into it. They had so many tasks to do, and he was one of the strongest in the prison.

Sawyer had come by in my cell, expressing his worry over Cora having the sickness. But Daryl reassured him that his girl was a tough one and that she would get through it.

But that was before he was standing over her burnt body with Tyresse;Carol, and Rick beside him.

"You found them like this?" Rick questioned Tyresse.

"I came to see Karen, and I saw the blood on the floor." explained Tyresse. "Then I smelled them.

"Somebody dragged them out here and set them on fire!" the man yelled. "They killed them and set them on fire! " he repeated before he went towards Rick. Daryl quickly got into a defensive stance in case Tyresse tried anything.

"You're a cop? You find out who did this, and you bring them to me. Do you understand? You bring 'em to me!"

"We'll find out who -" Daryl started as he went to take his arm, but the man only pushed him away. I'm looking to Rick for answers, but Rick only tried his best to calm Tyresse down.

"Karen didn't deserve this! Cora didn't deserve this! " claimed Tyreese angrily.

A small fight occurred between Tyreese and Rick until Rick came onto, leaving Tyreese with a swollen face and Rick a bloody knuckle.

............

There was one thing Daryl hated the most, and that was giving people bad news. Despite Carol offering to tell Sawyer, he knew he had to be the one to tell him.

After they had discovered the burnt bodies of Cora and Karen, Daryl made his way to Sawyer's cell. Only to find his little brother trying to disinfect the entire thing.

"Hey. I was just about to go check on Cora." claimed Sawyer. Daryl instantly regretted his decision and wished Carol was there with him.

"About that, Sawy." Daryl started in between a pause "There's been an accident. " he continued.

"What kind of accident?" Sawyer, seemingly confused.

"She's gone, Sawy. I'm sorry. She's gone." Daryl claimed after a long moment of silence.

"Very funny, Daryl. I just saw her this morning." Claimed Sawyer, obviously not taking Daryl very seriously as he went to leave the cell, but Daryl stopped his brother from leaving.

".I mean it, Sawy. Somebody dragged Karen and Cora out of the tombs and burned them. Tyreese found their bodies." Daryl said, making sure Sawyer knew he meant it.

"Show me then." Sawyer responded.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea, Sawy." Daryl replied. But Sawyer was determined to prove him wrong, and it didn't take long for Daryl to find himself leading his little brother back to the tombs.

As they finally reached the outside of the tombs, the only thing Daryl could do was watch as Sawyer fell to his knees in horror at sight of Karen's and Cora's burnt bodies.

The only thing Daryl remembered that night was watching Carol comforting Sawyer as helisten to his brother's mourning one Cora.